5-HTP for Tinnitus & Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by carlover, Aug 12, 2013.

1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all,

If you google - 5 HTP tinnitus - a lot of stuff, it's a natural food supplement, the precursor to Tryptophan.

Anyone tried this stuff?

Bit reluctant, want to but could have side effects.

5-HTP on Amazon.com

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I started taking 5htp a few years ago to help me recover from some intense partying sessions. It definitely works to help improve and regulate mood. I've taken it since getting tinnitus and it helps with the stress. I haven't experienced any side effects but I only take 50mg for a few days at a time then take a break, side effects are common if you're doing high doses daily (300mg+), other than that it's pretty safe or at least has been in my experinece.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      • Hug Hug x 2
    4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I was going to order some 5-htp to see if it could help change my mood and was just wondering if it worked or had any positive effects for any of you guys?

I need to get out of the slump I'm in but don't want to go down the route of prescription drugs.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It should work, it works on melatonin and seratonin.
      Do not know about side effects, but u can google it. (or maybe not google, suppose it is generaly safe, just take it and if u feel something bad, see in side effects could it be from 5-htp). My opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I use it for sleep occasionally. It relaxes you and you fall asleep. It's similar to melatonin. I find both products give me very vivid dreams and I awake often.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Do you still take 5-HTP?

I'm interested how was your experience on it?

8. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Sorry for butting in here, but I feel strongly about the benefits of 5HTP tho I don't push it much on TT.

I took it for several months a few years ago. 3x a day. I consider it one of the only supplements that actually helped me and I tried dozens (Markku has a pic of all my supplements).

For me 5HTP worked great. I was on Prozac and then Lexipro for a while and neither did anything for me. I dumped Lexipro against the wishes of my GP and I took 5HTP instead. It took a couple of weeks but totally snapped me out of my funk, helped me sleep (though you get very vivid dreams with 5HTP which you usually remember), improved my mood and got rid of my migraines.

It didn't get rid of my T, but I firmly believe that 5HTP was instrumental in helping me to get over the hump to improvement with coping with my T and H. I also believed it helped lessen the sensitivity of my hyperacusis.

Keep in mind there are precautions with 5HTP. Don't take it with other meds and be careful on dosage.

It is not for everyone and I don't think it works for everyone either. Read up on it and learn about it before taking it.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I will add that it seems like many people have seen benefits of 5HTP improving their hyperacusis like me: http://treato.com/5-HTP,Hyperacusis/?a=s (and lots other threads if you google "5HTP and hyperacusis"). I am not aware of H studies with 5HTP since most 5HTP studies center around depression. Might be worth trying first before moving to something more potent with harsher side effects such as Retigabine or Trobalt. 5HPT would be easier to get and definitely not as expensive if it doesn't work.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      5-HTP is a naturally occurring amino acid which our bodies make naturally and it is a precursor to both serotonin (mood regulator) & melatonin (induces sleep). I have read many reviews for 5-HTP supplements online and they are generally positive for it helping with sleep, mood regulation, anxiety and depression as @erik himself reports.

I'm naturally curious about any supplement or medication I try for my T. Here's what I found in my research of 5-HTP. 5-HTP activates the 5-HT2B receptors. According to Wikipedia, 5-HT2B receptors regulate serotonin release via the serotonin transporter, and are important both to normal physiological regulation of serotonin levels in blood plasma. This is all great for sleep and mood regulation but 5-HT2B receptors are know for cardiac hypertrophy (stiffening of heart muscle) which can lead to an increased chance of heart attacks. This is documented online, see links below:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12466135
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15781732
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3179857/
      http://circres.ahajournals.org/content/104/1/1.full

I don't intend to put anyone off who is thinking of trying 5-HTP but thought I should highlight my findings and why I probably won't be taking it.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    11. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Thanks @Twitch for the information.

Yes, 5HTP is not for everyone. I can only speak from my experience with it. However, considering the numerous side effects of most anti-depressants (plus the dependency on them), benzos (+dependency), sleep meds and anti-convulsants that many on this board already take or are looking to possible take, I think 5HTP is an alternative worth considering which has less side effects and is most likely safer.

Like I said earlier, just read up on it, discuss it with your doctor first and don't mix it with current meds if you are considering 5HTP and have concerns. There is risk with everything including supplements.

Many of us feel compelled to try things which may or may not help us with our T. It is up to us to first be educated, informed, understand the consequences, while accepting the risks & rewards.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection

"Mood-Enhancing Formulation
      A mood-enhancing formulation containing primarily 5-HTP, a form of vitamin B6, and St. John's wort, is designed to counteract age-related serotonin depletion and to provide general mood enhancement. Because it supports healthy serotonin levels, it may help those who are subject to mild or moderate depression. In addition, it may help with many other disorders.

5-HTP is well established for its mood-enhancing properties, among other benefits. St. John's wort, as well, has been studied with positive results for the treatment of mild depression. Its mechanisms of action are not clearly understood, but they are probably different than 5-HTP's. It has been used for a wide variety of conditions since at least the time of ancient Greece, and it was commonly used throughout the folk medicine of the Middle Ages. It is currently in widespread use in Germany as a standard treatment for depression.

Over the centuries, St. John's wort earned its reputation as a powerful mood-altering substance. Now science is confirming this reputation, and that is why Life Enhancement incorporates it in a nutritional supplement. When combined judiciously with 5-HTP, St. John's wort acts synergistically, i.e., the combined effect of the two ingredients is greater than the sum of their individual effects. Other uses for this formulation are for improved wound healing, anti-inflammatory effects, antimicrobial activity, sinusitis relief, seasonal affective disorder (SAD), and, especially, relief from depression"

http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/St_John's_Wort_Vs_Drugs.shtml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...rozac-treating-depression-say-scientists.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16160619

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      What sort of dosing did you use @erik? Same question to anyone else who used it and felt it had an effect.

Thanks for the info though, it seems to help some judging from the reactions here and the reviews on Amazon.

14. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I believe I took 50mg 2-3x a day (and 100mg 2x a day) but I can't remember for sure as it has been a couple of years. I know you are supposed to take it on an empty stomach for best absorption. For some people, taking over 50mg at a time can cause nausea and upset stomach so if you experience those symptoms or anything else weird, back off it some or stay at 50mg more than once a day. Maybe start with 50mg an on empty stomach an hour before bed and see if that helps. If not, slowly increase dosage by adding in another 50mg. 5HTP is known to give you vivid dreams. Some people may experience nightmares. Takes about 2 weeks before it is effective. Read up on 5HTP before taking it.

Info with Pros and Cons:
      http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/it...16125283881&action=collapse_widget&id=0&data=
      http://www.drugs.com/npp/5-htp.html
      http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/c/84292/75534/supplements-sam/
      http://www.raysahelian.com/5-htp.html

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello Markku, didn't take it for very long, just a few days, why I don't know. Just didn't fancy this product for some reason.

16. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      love it - been taking it for 3 months and I think it works good .. I feel more as I used to before all this T depression came up ... now I`m back leveled out because of it I think .. it`s healthy and non toxic, non addictive (you can`t `feel` it) ... thumbs up

• Like Like x 2
    17. Xynic

Xynic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Just started taking 5-HTP, will report

The subject says it all!

I'm getting out of a major depression and am hoping to help the process along. Ordered a bottle of 50mg capsules. Took the first one about 30 minutes ago. Noticing no effect on the tinnitus (it's being a good boy today in general though), but (I think) a general mood improvement. This beat is banging! :D

Adverse effect: I definitely do notice the diminished appetite already. I was hungry before and couldn't wait to go to the supermarket, now I don't care.

I'm cautious because I did some research on drug forums, but doctors seem to mostly warn of using it to combat the adverse comedown effects from MDMA (mostly because users then tend to think they can roll more often as a consequence). I don't roll frequently anymore, so I guess that's not a danger. Will see how I sleep tonight. It's supposed to give you vivid dreams.

I'm also cautious of long-term effects (who knows, my body might end up producing even less serotonin and melatonin if I keep taking this stuff on the regular), so I guess this is a one-off experiment for now, a few days perhaps.

18. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I'm curious, since you are coming out of a major depression are you on other antidepressants? I have wondered about 5-HTP but wasn't sure how it would interact with other meds that are messing with serotonin levels. Did your research turn up anything about that?

19. Xynic

Xynic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Yeah, you're supposed to be really careful (read: doctors don't recommend it), because you might end up with a serotonin syndrome. Serotonin is one of those things you CAN get too much of, so I wouldn't risk mixing 5-HTP and SSRIs. I got an SSRI prescribed but ended up not taking it, I was too wary of the side effects (plus Ambien, the other med my doc prescribed me, didn't agree with me at all, so I had all the less reason to trust the guy). So 5-HTP is merely my self-medication style alternative.

The doctor did say the same thing - that if I take the SSRI, I shouldn't take any other "mood boosters". Also, if this is helpful information, a friend used to take it for ecstasy comedowns and it worked for a while but then he said he crashed even harder. So bottom line is, I wouldn't mess with mixing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, definitely do not take 5HTP and any SSRI at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Xynic

Xynic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      So here's how I've been doing so far: after the initial elevation last night, I took another capsule today in the morning and didn't notice a great change in mood, except for the sleepiness. In fact right now I'm feeling fairly depressed but then again the last capsule was about 8 hours ago.

The sleep was weird, it felt like it was very light, in fact it felt like I couldn't fall asleep forever and remained in this weird state between waking and sleeping - until I finally looked at my mobile and it was 10 AM!

I haven't noticed a major change in my tinnitus. In fact my ears seem to be more sensitive today, like tinnitus acting up from me listening to music in my headphones. That said, in the past days my tinnitus once again changed in prominence and (I think) frequency, I guess as a result of the magnesium and 5-HTP intake, and upon waking today it was weaker than in the past days (my tinnitus had tended to be stronger upon waking up in the past couple of weeks) so results are inconclusive.

On the whole, I'm neither feeling particularly good nor I guess bad. Not sure if I should try to continue taking it. It definitely makes me a bit drowsy which I don't like, but then maybe I'll get used to it? I'll decide later.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    22. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      How long have you been taking it? You need at least 2 weeks or more for it to build up. It takes SSRI's several weeks to work.

5HTP probably won't help your T but it will help your mood towards your T, so I guess it does help it in an indirect way. It also did help my H. 5HTP doesn't work for everyone just as SSRI's don't, but you probably need to be on it at least a couple of weeks consistently to know for sure.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Xynic

Xynic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Reporting back here. It's been a week now and there's definite improvement! I'm calmer, sleep better, am happier on the whole. I get stuff done at work again and am happy to go out! In spite of what you said, erik, my tinnitus seems a lot quieter/less intrusive most of the time. Sometimes it's all but gone. That said, once the effect wears off it does get louder again which is bothering. It all does confirm what I already suspected - that there's a direct connection between my tinnitus and my serotonin levels, which I messed with by means of prolonged substance and alcohol abuse.

Also, the crash in mood that happens if I don't regularly take it is bothering, too. I had taken a capsule at around 7 PM last night and then woke up at 10 AM today, feeling totally depressed. Now, some hours after the new capsule, I'm calm and feeling normal again. One other side effect I've noticed is a very slight weakness in the joints. I get a similar weakness from E, but much much stronger.

The dizziness has decreased, but still unsure for long much longer I should continue the experiment. Classic antidepressants are usually taken over a prolonged amount of time, but a friend doctor told me it was safe to stop the 5-HTP at any time. I don't want to make my body produce even less serotonin, but then again it seems like it already produces way too little, which perhaps justifies continued 5-HTP intake.

• Like Like x 2
    24. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Great that it is working for you. I didn't taper off mine, I just stopped. I believe I took it for about 3 months or so.

I wouldn't hesitate taking it again if I felt a need to. It is nice to know there is something out there that can help, doesn't cost a fortune, doesn't support big Pharma and doesn't have a host of side effects!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am about to start on this, since I decided to stop all use of Mirtazapine and Trazodone, both of which were not working all that well for sleep and were affecting my tinnitus. I was hoping it would have an immediate impact but I guess I will have to be patient. I will try to post my experience with it, but I am hopeful based on what I've read here.

• Like Like x 1
    26. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Good luck Michael. It did help me, so hopefully you will see some benefit too.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope it works as well as H has been bad of late. Last night it made no difference and I had trouble falling asleep, but from what I read here, I need to be patient.

28. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @erik - What should I be looking for when 5HTP begins to have an impact in a week, two weeks? I know I must seem over eager, but I am in the midst of a horrible transition away from antidepressants and it's like I'm learning to sleep again. What was your experience when the 5HTP began to work for you?

29. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can happily report that, after close to two weeks, this supplement is starting to work for me. I have found that it does relax me and helps me get close to sleep. I was able to reduce my dosage of Trazodone to 12.5 mg last night for the first time. I can't say whether 5HTP has had any other impact, like for hyperacusis or tinnitus, but given that this is just beginning to have a positive impact on my anxiety, maybe more positive benefits are to come. But even if all I get is a natural night's sleep free of Trazodone, I'll be happy.

• Like Like x 3
    30. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      • Agree Agree x 1