8 kHz Tone for 10 Years Now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mikejl46, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Mikejl46

Mikejl46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure,
      Just found your site. Have had a 8 kHz tone in my right ear for the last 10 years. Have been able to ignore pretty much all those years. In he last 4 months or so the volume level of the tone has increased some. If I'm not thinking about it it fades away.

And I just can't help it, I will think, wow I can't hear it and soon as I think about it there it is.

So it's pretty much up and down with never ending low and high volume 8 kHz tone.

So hopefully as I read through the site I can find something that will help me better ignore the tone.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Welcome, the best thing you can do is help find what caused your tinnitus.

Did you have a history of noise exposure such as loud music, concerts, loud headphones, loud cars, loud factory work?

Do you have TMJ/TMD or cervical issues, any medications or an ear infection back in 2008 that may have harmed hearing?

Did you have any head injury prior to tinnitus?

Any known hearing deficit, or genetic hearing problems in your family?

Tinnitus is rarely a mystery when it is critically examined and the most common cause is some form of hearing loss.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikejl46

Mikejl46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure,
      Yes, have had a history of loud noise, was a logger for many years, chainsaw, skidder, never wore ear protection. plus I have always had problem with the one ear, hearing loss since I was a kid.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      congratulations now know what caused tinnitus.

Were you informed in the past about the cause of your tinnitus, What did doctors tell you?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikejl46

Mikejl46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure,
      No, had no clue what was going on with my ear until a few years back, didn't even know I had tinnitus until I decided one day to look it up on the internet, and found out many have the same thing going on. I haven't had my ears looked at for many years could be 20 or more. Have been thinking about going to see if it can be fixed, but I'm learning it cant be, the more I look into it.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Tinnitus cannot be cured, as curing hearing loss and neuro-stimulation to target tinnitus is currently being research but not in practice.

Do not despair however because there are current clinical trials to do just that.

Anyhow do you also have noise induced pain, sensitivity to sound or notice certain frequencies sound abnormally loud?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikejl46

Mikejl46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure,
      No, have very little hearing in the ear with the problem, maybe 10% hearing level.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikejl46

Mikejl46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure,
      For now I'm doing ok with it, I need to sleep with a headphone in the good ear with music to distract, so I can sleep. It's mostly up and down depending how occupied I am with things. When I'm busy it fades away, when things are quite the tone volume increase, or soon as I think about it the tone all of a sudden gets louder. For some reason even when I don't notice it, I have to think about it, and then that brings on the tone. I keep telling myself, why do I think about it when I don't notice it. But lately the volume has increased, so I'm paying mote attention to these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Sure music helps.

I am so sorry about your hearing deficit and tinnitus, I hope future treatments can help you deal with this distressing situation.

Thank you for answering the questions and enjoy the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikejl46

Mikejl46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure,
      I have been reading some about this listen to audio Tinnitus Therapy.

So what if I can't here out of the ear that has the tone,? Does it help to listen to Tinnitus Therapy with the good ear that does not have the Tinnitus?

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Were you exposed to any loud noises 4 months ago?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikejl46

Mikejl46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure,
      I wish I could just forget about the tone, I can be going along just fine, don't notice the tone at all, and then I will think, oh I don't hear the tone, and there it is, then it get louder and louder. I just can't seem to just forget about it. So it's like all day long like this.

Also, if I concentrate hard enough, I can push the tone away to silence, I can only make it go away for a few seconds. It's like lifting a real heavy weight, that I can only hold for so long. It takes so much effort get it to stop for a few seconds. It's like I just can't hold it there for very long.

Has anyone ever been able to stop the noise with some mental effort?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mikejl46

Mikejl46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure,
      I have another noise going on in the same ear that doesn't bother me much, It's like a low motor hum, very low volume, It would be like the furnace running down in the basement, or a truck running outside down the road. I only hear when it's very quiet.