A Grandfather Clock in My Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nick07, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
      I was watching tv in bed last night. Afterwards I put head against my pillow in a way different than normal and heard what sounded like a grandfather clock. The sound and rhythm matched up perfectly to how a grandfather clock sounds at least in my memory. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking the noise might be caused muscle in my ear twitching. The pressure on my ear could have increased physical contact with the muscle making it more noticeable.

2. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      are you hearing the heartbeat from the pulse near a blood vessel? that's normal . there are blood vessels there unless you hear an actual sound instead of just a simple pulse ...then you might have pusatile tinnitus or it may be the ear muscle spasms

• Like Like x 1
    3. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      The grandfather clock in my elderly mother's home was stolen. Quite possible it somehow ended up in your ear.
      Look at the bright side. It could be a cuckoo clock.

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Was hoping others would 'chime in'. I am just full of witticisms...or rather just full of it. Sorry for being a bit cavalier. OP, what you write is quite common I believe in fact among many even outside the tinnitus community.
      Hope it doesn't become a big deal...goes away by changing your head position as you sleep etc as it does for many.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
      I guess I omitted the details about experiencing tinnitus chronically. I thought it was implied, and excessive details lead to people not reading the full thing. I just limited to that different experience because I thought I might be able to get specifics that way. Normally it sounds like air moving out of a balloon or water moving through pipes or a faucet. Right now it's quiet enough that there's not a good way to describe it. It's also generally limited to my left ear. Though sometimes it seems like it might be in right ear as well.

Scared111 what you about the noise being caused by my veins I believe to be the case. I don't see the logic of it being sound induced, and it would explain the pressure on the left side of my head and why it feels so easy to feel the the blood flowing by my ear. Also around the time it started there was a vein I felt going up my neck to my left ear. I read in certain cases of pulsatile tinnitus creating a noise like a twisted hose, which I could describe the noise as. I believe the cause was due to a thickness of cholesterol near the ear. I can't be sure though.