A More Precise Definition for Acoustic Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I see this word used a lot here but is there a more precise definition?

- to have an acoustic trauma do you need to have at least a temporary threshold shift?

- can tinnitus or increased tinnitus be the only symptom? e.g. no muffled hearing or vertigo?

- for tinnitus to become permanently worse does it mean a PTS occurred even though it is not detected when compared to a previous hearing test?

2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      No you do not need a temp threshold shift to have an acoustic trauma. A tts can occur from attending a loud event which can resolve on its own without any tinnitus.
      An extremely loud noise can cause tinnitus and hearing loss with no tts after the event.

Acoustic trauma can also cause muffled hearing and vertigo as hair cells responsible for balance can also be affected.

If tinnitus becomes worse from loud noise a pts does not always occur along with it.
      What is usually observed is a noise notch on a hearing test usually around 4000hz.

IMO acoustic trauma occurs when noise is loud enough to damage the hair cells of the cochlea. This can be over time or due to one event.
      A tts or pts is usually the brains response to sustained loud noise and it effectively turns down the volume. The brain readjusts when the intense noise is reduced and things return to normal. A pts is when this action does not return to normal.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      What if there is no changed hearing on a hearing test but just increased T is that still an acoustic trauma? I guess what I am asking could you suffer a real acoustic trauma with no way of diagnosing it. I guess in that case its auditory never damage or hidden hearing loss?