A New Tinnitus Sound or the Worldwide Hum?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tweaker, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I started hearing this droning sound, like a distant lawnmower. I was convinced it was an external source as it wasn't like my high pitched tinnitus that is clearly in my ears. I've looked for nearby roadworks or building works but can't locate anything. I hear it outdoors as well as indoors. No-one else in my house can hear it but it just seems different from my tinnitus.

Could it be the global hum phenomenon? Or is just a different kind of tinnitus reacting to background sounds. Been driving me crazy trying to work out if it's external noise source or just my brain or new complexity of tinnitus.

Anyone else had this? I've had tinnitus for 10 years and it doesn't feel like just an additional sound inside my head. If I block my ears my normal high pitched tinnitus sounds get louder because they are internal but this one is louder when my ears are uncovered. Mysterious.

2. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rehearsals/Meds
      I have had this for a couple weeks now. Very low rumble. But it seems to sound more intermittent - like a car driving by outside the house. I can control mine with my neck... sometimes. Not always. Wondering if this new sound is muscular or something different than the normal sounds.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Interesting. It could be somatic I guess. I may have noticed it change with muscular tension in my face such as eating or brushing my teeth. I'm trying not to overthink it but seems the hearing system can be affected in many ways. Tinnitus makes us more sensitive to sound in general. I read that when we lose our higher pitches we are more likely to be sensitive to lower frequencies, to compensate.

4. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rehearsals/Meds
      There was a while where I wasn’t sure if I was picking up external sounds, but it seems to be with me every morning when I wake up...also late at night. Hopefully it goes away as it’s kind of disconcerting. Once the world starts again, I’ll being seeing some more doctors about this. Maybe a massage, acupuncture, chiropractor... the possibilities. Lol

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My has become a bit intermittent, rather than constant. I am convinced now the sound is internal reacting to external sounds like my fridge, road noise,etc and also altering upon muscular tension in my face. I can increase the droning sound by rubbing my eyes or when I'm eating for example. I think a.mixture of somatic and reactive tinnitus. This is on top of my normal high pitched tinnitus which is permanent.

6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      The global hum is a myth. Tinnitus is not, unfortunately.

I have both the low rumble and high ringing/hissing. They do behave very differently, but they are both forms of tinnitus. They can both be noise-induced or have different causes.

7. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm now experiencing the exact same thing for the second time. I hope it goes away again.

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Voted "funny" by our house psycopath Michael