A Really Bad Spike After Dog Barking

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Today 6 hours ago I arrived at my aunt's house and my aunt has an elkhound. I stepped out of the car and the dog barked really loudly ~6 meters away.

Then I quickly went +10 meters away from the dog and put on my Bose QC headphones and did not plug my ears because I thought I was so far away even when the barks were extremely loud.

I have two questions:
      • Is this spike that I got temporary?
      • How loud is an elkhound barking 6 meters away?

Take care.

2. Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Ear-tooth infection
      Yo,

I see you around a lot, posting the same type of question (how loud is an alarm? How loud are hammers etc). I know you're scared, but no one can tell if the spike you got was temporary, or how loud an elkhound's bark is. Are you getting help for your tinnitus and your anxiety? This forum can only do so much.

3. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I know what you mean, I always tend to freak out a bit when I had something loud.
      But what I have learned is that most short loud noises don't give a spike and when it does, it is usually temporary.
      Especially the ones that are literally metres away.

I don't advise to research this for everything you encouter, but it helps to put things in perspective.

The loudest bark:
      "A Golden Retriever named Charlie from Australia has set the Guinness World Record for the loudestbark at 113.1 decibels."
      Most likely measured at 1 metre.

Now lets say the dog you encounterd is equally loud, which is almost impossible.
      And you were lets say, 6 metres away, then you were exposed to maximum 105 dB for a short period.

That is almost impossible to be damaging, even if our ears are weaker, otherwise all people with T (20% of the population) would have severe T after a few years..

• Agree Agree x 2