Accidentally Smacked My Phone to My Headphones: Did I Worsen My Tinnitus? Checking If I'm Paranoid

Discussion in 'Support' started by Margrietje, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Margrietje
      Alienated

Margrietje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea; no hearing damage
      Hi guys! My tinnitus has its ups and downs, but my mental state is only going up. However, I still have a hard time not getting paranoid sometimes. The thing that I’m struggling with right now, is this:

I accidentally smacked my phone to my headphones because I forgot that I was wearing them and I totally panicked after that. I was studying when the neighbor decided to mow his lawn, so I grabbed my comfortable ear muffs (they have helped me sooo much!) but now I’m kinda mad at myself for wearing them at that moment (you know, self blame).

Normally when I’m being paranoid, I comfort myself with some logical information about dB as most of us probably do, but this time I don’t even know. Of course when the paranoia stays, I start to believe that my tinnitus worsened. I’m just leaving this here, maybe someone can say something comforting :LOL:

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When tinnitus actually gets worse, you KNOW. If you aren't sure, then it hasn't gotten worse.

Those incidents are inevitable. Everyone who has gotten better has had those incidents. Attempt to minimize the number of those incidents (as that ought to promote your healing), but when they happen, don't worry too much about it. Most of the resulting spikes are temporary spikes. In your case, it doesn't sound like you even have a spike.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Margrietje
      Alienated

Margrietje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea; no hearing damage
      The problem is that I often experience earfullness (in this case as well) in combination with a reduced tinnitus. Right now, I almost don’t hear it anymore but I do feel as if my ears are “blocked”. Usually the tinnitus returns after some days, and most of the times it will sound a little bit different. Is this a common experience?

I always tell myself that I don’t have it too hard, you know. I don’t have hearing loss and this specialized hospital is checking up on me every six months because they are intrigued(?) by my tinnitus. It just feels so lonely sometimes, even if it’s a small change that I’m going through.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ear fullness is usually a sign that your ears got hurt/aren't ok...