Acoustic Neuroma

Discussion in 'Support' started by BobDigi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm 34. Tinnitus for a week in left ear, no fluid or wax, no infection. Doctor today suspected acoustic neuroma. I'm having an MRI soon.

I wondered if anyone here has had an acoustic neuroma, and what their outcome was?

If I have it, and I have an operation, will I lose the tinnitus and hearing, or just hearing?

I've got lots of questions, but no one to give me any answers.

Thanks,
      Bob.

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Hhmmm... If the doctor suspects that, then he/she should indicate why that is. These tumours are rare.
      An operation for acoustic neuroma - and the outcome - would need to be discussed on a case-by-case basis.

Unless the doctor specifically indicated a likelihood of acoustic neuroma, then I would not be worried in your case.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hi Bob,

I'm sorry you're experiencing tinnitus, that is no fun. It could be caused by many things though, I wouldn't jump to the acoustic neuroma conclusion too soon. The best thing you can do right now is try to relax and continue getting the tests your doctor recommends. I've heard @Dr. Nagler say it before, but I don't think coming here for medical advice (i.e. will I lose my hearing and tinnitus or just hearing if I have surgery) is the best idea - no one here can answer that for you because it has so much to do with your specific body, history and circumstances.

The best person to ask these questions is your doctor :)

Good luck and try not to worry, you don't even know if you have one yet!

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The president of my company had one of these and had it operated, he's doing well.

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I second what others have said: this is a rare condition, so don't be too sure that this is your problem. Hopefully, your test results will be back soon and all will be well.

6. Skip G

Skip G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic neuroma, right side deaf
      A sure symptom is pressure in your ear along with tinnitus and slight hearing loss. I had this followed by an MRI which confirmed acoustic neuroma. Mine was small and was recommended for watch and wait as these rare tumors grow very slowly.

Unfortunately mine doubled in a year and I lost 80% of hearing. There are numerous treatment options and each person is different.

The best place to go for the operation solution is the House Clinic in California. I consulted with them but it was 3000 miles away and cost prohibitive. I would suggest joining the ANA (Acoustic Neuroma Association), they are the premier site for AN patients.

7. Mike Smithers

Mike Smithers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb02017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there, I am a mid 50s guy who has been dealing with hearing issues for about 8 or so years.

When tinnitus started entering the picture I went to see my doctor, who then passed me up the chain to an ENT. After doing tests to see what my actual loss was they sent me to an Otolaryngologist who suggested an MRI, because my hearing wasn't getting better and my tinnitus was not as well.

Lo and behold, they found the growth. My doctor told me not to be concerned, that even though it was rare ish condition that only 40% of those who have it actually have to have it removed.

Fast forward 4 years and lucky me, yes, it has grown significantly, now pressing in part on my brain. Causes vertigo as well as the hearing issues.

Living in Canada I don't have the luxury of just getting it taken out so I'm in line so to speak for approx 2-3 years unless it grows exponentially in that time.

My question is, even though I am aware that I will lose my hearing entirely in that ear, or that is what I have read and been told, why will I still have the tinnitus? Lol. Doesn't seem quite fair?

• Hug Hug x 1