Acoustic Shock... Does It Ever Go Away and How to Help It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lizzie Grant, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Lizzie Grant

Lizzie Grant Member

Not sure if I'm in the right place but I didn't feel right posting this anywhere else.

Anywho I have finally put a name to what I have thanks to someone on here! Acoustic shock; after I had multiple incidents with my headphones all the way up and very loud sounds.

The weird thing is I didn't really develop the symptoms until about a week or so after the incidents. I've had some ear pain (sharp stabbing type) that have been radiating into my jaw/neck. Also wincing at any sudden sound, I've even started to fear turning the faucet on because of the running water. I've had this for about 3-4 days now.

I'm curious as to how long this will last and if anybody else has experienced this and what they did to help it. I've stayed in my bedroom for the past few days since I'm too afraid to be startled or put in pain by any loud noise that might happen. I'm so afraid of living like this. I was wanting to apply for a job at a restaurant and I'm not sure if I could handle that right now.

Fortunately I haven't had any chronic tinnitus (it came and went a few times) but my reactions to sounds are still bad. I also can thankfully still hear out of both ears. But the stabbing pains and aversion to certain noises has been persistent. I've tried earplugs but I'm afraid I'll get too used to them and once I take them out the aversion to sounds will get worse.

Should I try Advil or anything like that? Should I keep the earplugs in or try to retrain myself to deal with the sudden noises?

2. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      For the earplugs, I put them when I felt pain, & try to live without them as soon as I can ! Now I don't use them except when I'm tired or for shooting.

3. Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma/Migraines
      Not sure if I have acoustic shock or not, but I can have a similar reaction to loud noises when my nervous system is acting up. I have some weird form of hyperacusis wherein my head reacts to loud sounds as if it is receiving an electric shock. My tensor tympani spasms a lot too during these reactions. So I feel you and understand how debilitating it can be.

Anyway, I know this is a (really) late reply and that you have probably managed to assimilate back into daily life somehow, but I could still suggest a few tips.

I would definitely say that it is not a good idea to wear earplugs 24/7, as they can contribute to the development of hyperacusis over time, which would only exacerbate the original problem. If you are experiencing those stabbing pains, however, or find yourself in an environment that is at least as loud as walking by a busy street, then I would say by all means wear them for a period. I wear mine everywhere in consistently loud places (but my ears are particularly vulnerable to loud sounds anyway).

Acoustic shock is also partially an anxiety reaction, so I would additionally suggest that you look into relaxation techniques or meditation if you don't already engage in these activities. If you start feeling the pains coming on, also do retreat to a quiet place if you can so you may relax. I can't really suggest supplements/medication, but you could also think of drinking green tea or to take a theanine supplement when having the reaction; L-theanine is a gem for alleviating everyday anxiety, at least for me, and has helped me a bit when I get that weird hyperacusis.

Hope any of this helps and wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Stay away from using headphones, earplugs and moderate to loud sounds and as Lauren says, do some relaxation. Anxiety does play a role and you need to work on reducing this. Some people go on to develop PTSD as a result of acoustic shock, or it may be very short-lived so hope you recover soon

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Any update anyone? Currently on day 7 of acoustic shock

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2014: Mild Hyperacusis 2019: More severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones, more recently Acoustic Shock
      You think you experienced an acoustic shock? What happened and what are your symptoms?

7. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      I had an ear cleaning done and the sound startled me. Since then my left ear has felt “full”, I’ve had a slight reduce in volume in my left ear (although I’ve done testing for both audiogram and hidden hearing loss and everything was normal). I had balance issues for a few days (subsiding) but am left with sharp ear pain, occasional burning, and pain around face and jaw every once in a while. My biggest concern is my reduce in volume but I’ve read many people had this problem and it eventually came back after a while.

8. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5562182/

9. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For many people the symptoms get better. I'm still having some issues but between ignoring it and it (I think) getting a bit better, I can generally get through every day okay without it bothering me too much. The worst is things like sirens, I cover my ears when things like ambulances go by with them on. Hopefully that improves over time.

10. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Did you also have a decrease in volume? Did sounds appear a bit muffled to you or quieter? Also, I agree, ambulance sirens freak me out LOL I always try my best to cover my ears, but the good news is that it'll get better. The ears just take forever to recover.

11. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Never had any hearing loss, slight muffled sound for maybe a few days or so. Mostly just fullness and pain.

12. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      My tests indicate no hearing loss but it feels like my hearing is muffled... been about 2 weeks now though. Sigh

13. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      What frequency did they test up to? Many tests only go to 8 kHz but the human hearing range is as high as 22 kHz. So if you lose your high end above 8 kHz they don't tell you due to them not testing there...

14. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The human range is 20Hz to 20kHz.

15. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      I got tested from 250-5000 Hertz on my audiogram and was within the normal hearing range.

16. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      To 5kHz? Wow, thy should test at least up to 8kHz. Go for an extended one which tests up to 20kHz.

17. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      I still have muffled hearing, it’s hard to understand people...

18. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I didn't have acoustic shock, but I want to throw out there that like you, headphones ruined my condition and there was a delayed reaction. I actually enjoyed my headphones at first; within days it got worse. Some people are going to disagree, but I am an advocate for leaning on the side of protection, especially while it's super bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Have you seen an ENT? It's possible that something curable is exacerbating the muffled hearing. I hope you recover soon.

Best wishes.

20. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Thanks so much and yes I have, they haven’t found anything unfortunately. I’m hoping this is just something that goes away with time. It’s been 3 days since it got worse and I’m now on a 2 week course of prednisone. Hoping this helps.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I keep my fingers crossed for you. Hope everything settles down soon.

Good luck.