Acoustic Trauma: Prednisone & HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy)

Discussion in 'Support' started by PolarSun, Apr 2, 2019.

1. PolarSun

PolarSun Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      So I am a big headphone wearer. I started to get hyperacusis first with some tinnitus spikes and then the hyperacusis went away. Leaving me with the tinnitus.

One year later I decided to go to the movies without hearing protection. I got a 18000 Hz tinnitus spike. When it did not go down after a week I got on prednisone taper off 60 mg, 60 mg, 50 mg, 50 mg... etc. It really helped. Until the very end when a coworker yelled in my ear... So I started the steroids again.

At the same time I was tapering off the steroids I started HBOT treatment. I only lasted one treatment because my eustachian tube started to click which continues to this very day.

Although my tinnitus isn't as good as it was before and isn't as good as it was on the steroids it stiol is a considerable improvement to where it was after the movie.

I'm considering a third round of steroids, my primary care doctor is concerned about hip necrosis.

I'll come back at some point and link some research in case anyone's interested.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      What is hip necrosis?

3. SadMan
      Tired

SadMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      How is your current situation?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PolarSun

PolarSun Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I actually was doing really great there are many times that I forgot I had this condition all together I slowly increase my tolerance by increasing the amount of sound via sound machine near my bed. I'm back on the forums because I had a setback after a loud church service.

I just want to tell everyone that this does get better.

• Like Like x 2