Acquired Tinnitus After Going to a Shooting Range

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by EverydayJ, Sep 18, 2020.

1. EverydayJ

EverydayJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting Range
      I've been experiencing tinnitus for about two and a half weeks now. I hear static noises whenever someone says the “s” word, my ears feel full and my ears are just ringing constantly!

I have not been able to sleep and I've been very paranoid. I've seen two different ENT doctors who told me not to worry and that it should subside. On the bright side, my hearing was normal and I can hear normally. The ringing is just driving me crazy and I'm scared it might not go away.

Anyone ever experience tinnitus after going to a gun range or anything similar? Looking for positivity. Please share.

2. Lyris

Lyris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hmm... I'm surprised that neither prescribed you prednisone?

I feel like your situation counts as being acceptable to take a high dose and then taper for at least 5-7 days. I would get back in with a new doctor or ask the last one ASAP for a steroid to heal faster and reduce potential issues later on. That isn't to say you're 100% guaranteed to have issues if you don't take the steroid, but many people seem to do a lot better when they take them as soon as possible after experiencing a very loud noise like a gunshot(s), sirens, or firecrackers!

You can also try turmeric alongside the steroid.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      EverydayJ

EverydayJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting Range
      I was actually prescribed prednisone 2 days after the incident, I forgot to mention. Since then, I'm not sure whether my tinnitus has been decreasing in pitch or if my mind is playing tricks on me.

Thanks a lot for your support Lyris!

4. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Yep. Hope and pray. I have a clusterfuck of problems which have been caused by Meniere's and firearm noise. Pray it goes away. Take the full course of steroids and ask for middle ear injections of steroids. You don't want to be stuck with this shit trust me. It's fucked up my whole life.

I was wearing hearing protection while shooting but my issues really started about two days afterwards.

5. ZackColorado

ZackColorado Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      How are you guys doing now? I’m 7 months in from a gunshot inside a range, no protection on. One shot unaware fucked me up. I took Prednisone 2 weeks after. Now 7 months and I’m upside down.