Advice needed: Possible bladder infection and Ciprofloxacin

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leah, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Called doc office on Friday because I have symptoms of a bladder infection. Waiting for lab work to see if there is an infection.
      Was prescribed Cipro until results are in so that I might get some relief IF there is an infection and now I read
      how bad it is for tinnitus.
      I am miserable with symptoms but don't want to make T worse.
      Being the weekend would hate to wait until Monday.
      Thoughts?

2. Laura89
      Tired

Laura89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 14, 2014
      Hey Leah, I have quite a lot of experience with bladder infections. After I developed pulsatile tinnitus I gave up any drugs. Not even advil. I would drink plenty of fluids, cranberry juice or pills, leafy greens juices. Bladder infections suck and hurt but your body can fight them without evil antibiotics. But that's just my experience and if you think the pain its too much then maybe take them but I would try the natural way first. Hugs and feel better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree with Laura. I think you should try the natural methods first, and if they don't work, then consider taking the Cipro.

I've actually taken Cipro a couple of times since my tinnitus/pulsatile tinnitus started, once for a bladder infection after my cranberry pills didn't work, and once for persistent bronchitis, and haven't had any problems. However, some people have had problems with Cipro, so it would be prudent to try natural methods first.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks going to do what you suggest until the lab work comes back.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for your post and your experience with Cipro.

6. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Take natural supplement ..took antibotics, I think it brought on my T.

7. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Is Amoxicillian effective for UTIs? From everything I've read and in my own experience, it's pretty damn safe when it comes to ototoxicity, never had a problem with it. So if you get desperate, maybe you can ask your doctor for it and whether or not it'd be effective for a UTI.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Not only do we suffer with T but when something else pops up, must be careful with treatment.
      Thanks for your support everyone.

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      What type of antibiotcs?

10. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      From what I have read about ciprofloxacin, theres just no way I would have taken it, unless I absolutely had to.

But thats just me and Im no doctor :)

11. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Took microbid.. for 15 days, soon after I got t, read Google, and it said you can get ring in the ears plus dizziness, which is what I have the last few months.I should have read the reviews before I took it..even my audio thinks that might have cause it . maybe he was just trying to get rid of me.

12. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Leah

Try apple cider vinegar.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks

14. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      • Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions, I telephoned the doctor and the prescription was changed to a different antibiotic, took 3 doses so far and feeling a little bit better. Whew.was a long night.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      Hello!

A bit late on this thread... I have had T for the past 7 years due to otoxic meds (in 2007 it was LUVOX and in 2014 BIAXIN). I have taken Cipro several times for UTI and never had a spike or any problems (and I know I am sensitive to meds in general due to my experience).

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks that is very reassuring, seems like everyone reacts differently to medications.

18. ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Leah

just so you know, in the future, if I have another UTI I might seek some alternate treatment... I am now scared of taking anything at all. You never know... Cipro might not have had any effect on me in the past but since antibiotics must have damaged my ears even more back in May 2014, I would hate to take the chance...

It sucks being under the impression that taking meds is like playing Russian Roulette with your T.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sure is.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Update, no infection found, but
      symptoms persist. Could it be the Oxcarbazepine I started two weeks ago?
      Doctor has ordered further testing, but I mentioned taking this new medication was the only variable. She did some research and there it is" frequent urination/pain or burning" as less common side effect.
      Sad part is that I feel like it is helping the T, a little less intense. Not as many spikes and actually took a short nap and woke with some increased T but not the dentist drill I have before.
      So is it the Oxcarbazepine or coincidence? Will contact doctor who prescribed it and run it pass him but in the meanwhile I am miserable with the symptoms.

21. ADiCin

ADiCin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Morning Leah, I suggest explaining your situation in full to your doctor if you have not already done so and would take it from there. Please keep us posted on how things go for you. I wish you the best.

I am presently dealing with a prostate infection and have been treated on Cipro for over a month now. However, my T seems to have been getting worse in this last week or so. I am also dealing with the stresses of preparing for a major exam which definitely does not help, so I am finding it difficult to attribute my worsening T to Cipro or to my stresses. I am definitely on the right path and taking complete control of my stress levels and it feels great, but T still seems worse.

I am just curious for those of you that had T or worsening T in response to Cipro how long it took before you experienced differing symtpoms of your T?

Thanks in advance

22. ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @ADiCin like mentionned previously on this post, as for me, Cipro had no effect on my T whatsoever and I took very high doses. I have taken it several times for UTI since I've had T. My T is due to ototoxic meds so I know my ears are sensitive to those. In the case of Cipro, it did nothing to my ears (no spike, no increase, nothing)

Since the onset of T, I've had an increase in May 2014 when I took ototoxic antibiotics. Now, I will be even more careful with ALL types of meds, including Cipro. If I get another UTI, I will try to take something else (for example, if I can take penicillin, I will, because this doesn't scare me and I have taken it lots of time in the past 7 years).

23. ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @ADiCin I am also from Montreal!

• Like Like x 1
    24. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Things that happened to me and no T spike. hernia surgery, 3 stents, heart attack and one stent, Surgery which got infected, tooth implant, root canal, tooth extraction, a few alcohol drinks, stresses at jobs. Things that affect my T I do not know and I believe my current spike is a virus? Go figure?

• Creative Creative x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks I agree very hard to know what is the cause when the multiple triggers. Good luck on the exam.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Wow, you have had your share of medical interventions.
      How are you feeling?

27. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Thanks for asking. We are living in good times, Medical interventions have advanced and the future looks great. I am 65 years young. I am looking forward to the future of our children and beyond. Now If I can get a handle on my current relapse, still early 7 weeks. life will go on.

28. ADiCin

ADiCin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hello

I am presently taking Cipro for over 4 weeks now for a prostatitis infection. I have taken it for a 10 day course in Oct. 2013 with no side effects, took it again for a 3 week course in December 2013 with no side effects and am now on it for a scheduled 3 month course.

3 days ago, I developed eye floaters which was quite scary and made be go seek an ophthalmologist immediately. They told me that it was very unlikely to be due to the cipro. Also, I got tinnitus after a real loud concert in Feb 2014 yet none of my other friends got it that night, which makes me wonder if the Cipro courses I took before the event made me vulnerable.

Now that I am 1 month of of the 3 month course of Cipro, I noticed my base line tinnitus to be much worse and I cannot help but wonder if it is due to the Cipro or simply base line stress levels.

When I spoke to the pharmacist about this potential side effect, they informed me that tinnitus development is very rare and that less than 1% of people on cipro get tinnitus symptoms.
      I also know if I go and see a medical professional that there is a slim chance any one of them will be able to definitely say it is the medication. I am also concerned what will happen to my prostatitis if I were to stop taking the medication.

I tried to contact my Urologist in hope that he would be able to switch my medication for one with no ototoxicity but I have had no luck.

What are your thoughts and has anyone else found themselves in the same situation I am in?

Thank you for your time

29. ADiCin

ADiCin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Thus, I am left with incredibly bothersome tinnitus in both ears which is getting worse preventing me from being able to focus during my daily activities, have floaters in my eyes which prevent me from being able to see the way I used to and all during the time that I have been on Cipro.

As much as I respect the medical community, I also recognize that they work via evidenced-based medicine and if the evidence of Cipro-induced Tinnitus and eye floaters is minimal or non existent, the medical community will reflect just that in their response.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I was extremely shocked and indignant over the group of fluoroquinolones.

These are the most popular and prescribed aantibiotics in the world, they are good for many types of infections.
      Of course, the chance is not great, that you will get complications on the inner ear - but it is. And it's horrible.
      It seems that we do not have other groups of antibiotics other than Cephalosporins and penicillins.