Advice on Dealing with Tinnitus and Insomnia?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tom71, May 29, 2018.

1. Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      I'm back:)

I can often tune out the tinnitus during the day.

But since it started 2 weeks ago I've had varying levels of insomnia. Last night was really bad.

I've tried melatonin no luck. Benadryl helps but not always.

Part of the problem is that I'm on a prednisone taper and it makes me hyper, I've been trying to take it in the morning.

Am going to experiment with masking noises to see if some work better than others.

What other suggestions would you all have?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You can try valeriana, passiflora, if you search herbal remedy. Saint John's wort is also potent (yellow cantarion in my country).

• Like Like x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      Ambien has essentially resolved the issue. Might have to cut back as it makes me sleepy in the AM.

Also going to try CBD oil since others say it works.

4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Tom71,

I recently started taking CBD oil, and feel it may be starting to very moderately help my tinnitus & hyperacusis. But I've found it to actually give me a bit of energy, instead of being sedating like it is for others. I recently discovered that drinking POPPY SEED TEA has a gentle sedating effect on me, and mostly offsets the energy I feel from the CBD oil. So I start out each day with a cup of CBD oil in my tea.

So, if you try CBD oil, you may want to experiment with it by taking it in the morning before trying it just prior to bed time. Poppy seed tea alone may work for your sleeping difficulties. Lots of experimentation we have to go through!

Best...

• Like Like x 1
    5. Lisa B

Lisa B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/21/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neomycin/polymyxin b/hydrocortisone solution usp
      I've been having trouble sleeping too at night but I found that if I leave the TV on I can fall asleep so I just set the sleep timer at night that way the tv will tur itself off after a while.

6. JustMakingIT
      Wisdomatic

JustMakingIT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10\2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise/medication?
      Hello - what I do (as I have mild to sometimes severe tinnitus, where I can hear my tinnitus over everything), I use masking noise at home—like music, pink/white noise, or ambient sounds that are the same decibel as my tinnitus to help retrain my brain to associate the ringing with other things. It's hard as mine fluctuates. But I want my brain to associate my tinnitus with natural sounds so that when I'm out and about I can focus on my surroundings and not my tinnitus.

7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am having trouble sleeping.

I don't know how much I am getting. Seems like an hour to two but I am really scared because I am on the 4th day/night of having trouble.

My tinnitus is spiking and that is scary too.

I don't know if it is from lack of sleep but I read here tinnitus can be more audible from lack of sleep.

I tried chamomile tea and melatonin last night and it made me really tired but I would only drift off but wake up again.

I don't want to resort to meds but I don't know if I can keep going like this. I was using a fan but gave up on that. I read somebody used this app of nature sounds so I tried that around 5am and it didn't help but I will try it tonight.

I feel crappier than ever. Loud tinnitus and no sleep. How long can people suffer like that? I feel like I can't do this. :(

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A low antidepresant for sleep can help and is ok long term and better than sleeping tablets as they are not addictive.

love glynis

9. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      For e.g.? I am concerned that natural remedies aren't working.

10. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      For e.g., Mirtazapine or amitriptyline.