Advice on Vitamins/Magnesium

Discussion in 'Support' started by Grace, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hello all. I know this has been asked tons of times on here. I was just wondering if anyone could possibly make me like a list of vitamins or anything that is good for the body/ ears that wouldnt hurt to take. Ive had T since november real mild almost unnoticeable and not gonna lie i never have took any vitamins or minerals since i was a kid. As my diet goes im also not the healthiest.. Got a strong metabolism so am able to pretty much eat what i want. Since i first got T i noticed i am still keeping my same diet as always and has not changed my T. Im just kinda curious as whether if i started taking some supplements that maybe i could feel better. Just not sure what to look for. Should i just go for a multivitmin? B12? What is b12? And anything else supossively good for the ears. Thanks!!!

2. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi @Grace:

Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) can be obtained via meats and dairy products. Because I am a vegetarian who currently does not drink milk, I take B12 supplements. When I go to the doctor annually, I have my blood tested for various things including certain vitamin levels. My suggestion is that you do the same.

My belief is that one should supplement only if necessary. For example, I also take Calcium, Magnesium, and D3 supplements because I have low bone density. Otherwise, I obtain all other nutrients through a healthy, balanced diet.

Some people have said that B6 helps reduce the volume of their tinnitus. I considered supplementing this vitamin, but given that my B6 levels were normal, I resisted. If you do choose to supplement, be aware of potentially harmful effects of excessive vitamin levels. For example, too much B6 can result in various health-related complications.

Note as well that Magnesium supplements appear to help certain individuals with tinnitus. My daily dose of 400mg, however, has not had a noticeable effect upon my tinnitus volume.

-Golly

3. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I take 15mg zinc a day, no noticeable effects on tinnitus volume, but it does have a calming effect on me.

4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @Grace the most important thing is food. Little sugar, not too much fat, lots of veggies and fruit, meat, fish etc. keeping a healthy diet is very important in getting enough vitamins and minerals. It is important for the body long term in keeping you healthy in aspects besides tinnitus, also, if you plan of having kids it is extremely important. Drinking too much coffee can be bad as well.
      I take magnesium because my audiologoist suggested and codliver oil due to arhritis and B-vitamins and Vitamine C because my psychiatrist suggested. Ive been taking them around 2-3 months and I have noticed no change. However I think in the longer perspective magnesium and Vit B help protect the ears and nervous system. I would discuss with your doctor though, because it depends on the climate as well.
      Cant stress how important a balanced diet is though. Diet-related problems will most likely hit you in later life, in your 402 or 50s :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Thanks for the advice!! My whole thing is im soo busy with work and school soon that i dont feel like i have time to naturally get all the vitamins and minerals i need in one day. Would i have to talk to my doctor about the magnesium though.. Like is it dangerous or has it been known that it could make T worse? I have a multivitamin that im gonna start taking too

6. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Supplements are not going to replace the vitamins and minerals gained from food. I dont think it has to do with time, but more about what you are used to. You can cook a big portion of food for 4-5 days or make sure you buy healthy food or find whatever suits you. Its more about your attitude. No its not going to have an effect of your tinnitus, but it can have a bad effect on other aspects of your health. Right now maybe tinnitus is your only problem, but if you dont start taking care of yourself at a young age already you will have more health relates issues in later life. Therefore dont only focus of tinnitus. Think of it as a retirement plan for your body.