Air Bone Gap — Trying to Figure Out the Cause of My Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by corza000, Feb 16, 2021.

1. corza000

corza000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I can’t stop trying to work out the cause of my hearing loss and tinnitus. Since I found out there is an air bone gap I’m so anxious about what is causing the conductive loss in my ear. The next ENT appointment is a month away so that’s a month of worry. The last appointment he didn’t even investigate it because he said there wasn’t much conductive loss and he wanted to wait and see how my hearing goes over time.

I’m scared it is a degenerative issue like otosclerosis. What are the chances?

To give background I’m 32, male and don’t have a history of ear issues in the family. I’ve listened to loud music through headphones throughout my teens.

Anxiety skyrocketing!

1-B1873-AA-048-B-4970-B84-D-0-A23-E077308-B.png

2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Otosclerosis has a different profile than this, but it does indicate middle ear pathology of some kind. A normal gap is about 10 dB or less, but people don't react unless it's extreme (like 30 dB).

I have a 20 dB gap, and it's only because their equipment can't go quieter than -10 dB that it's that small... and they acted as if nothing was wrong. I have super hearing, yet a gap that is clearly larger than 20 dB, and low frequency tinnitus... and guess where that gap is? In the low frequencies. So even though I hear fine by air conduction, my bone conduction is beyond belief. Just because it's really good doesn't mean something isn't wrong, it's all relative to "your normal".

As you can see here, there's many reasons for air bone gap issues. It isn't as simple as otosclerosis.

https://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/conductive.htm

Most seem treatable or at least unlikely to worsen.