Almost a Year with Tinnitus — Will Future Treatments Work for Tinnitus Caused by Ototoxic Meds?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JoeB, Feb 16, 2020.

1. JoeB

JoeB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acid Reflux meds
      I developed tinnitus in April 2019. The first 3 months was the most difficult time I can remember. It is still quite challenging, but at least I can function normally in most circumstances. This is very challenging, indeed. I think sometimes anxiety and/or stress amplify the ringing. I'm trying to stay calm as much as possible.

I've been reading about possible treatments coming in the near future. Most of the treatments seem to state for noise induced tinnitus.

Does anyone know if that means it wouldn't work for tinnitus from ototoxic drugs? How can anyone really be sure what caused the tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If you have a history of loud noise exposure, it could be that whatever ototoxic medications you took were the last straw and brought the T to light

If that’s the case, I don’t see why it wouldn’t help. As you said, it’s difficult to narrow it down to a specific cause. I recall seeing that tinnitus is a symptom of over 200 disorders

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoeB

JoeB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acid Reflux meds
      I saw an audiologist and I do have some hearing loss in the high frequencies. I was thinking the drugs caused the hearing loss, because it happened right at the time I was taking a triple dose of the proton pump inhibitors. But, I can't be sure. It would be awesome if they develop something to eliminate this nonsense. Or at least reduce.

4. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yeah unfortunately ototoxic drugs to seem to be a major contributor to this thing. All of us are holding out for something. At least having the option for some kind of treatment that won’t necessarily fully eradicate Tinnitus completely but just helps manage it better (not TRT OR CBT) would be a game changer

A cure would be amazing but realistically I think we’re far off from that