Altitude Benefits

Discussion in 'Support' started by David J, Sep 1, 2014.

1. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      My wife usually travels to Colorado a couple times/year. We live slightly above sea level in Ohio. She has noticed that when at the higher elevations (Monument, Co) her T goes away completely. Is it possible that elevation has this benefit? I'd love to hear from others on their experience.........
      Thanks,
      David

2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Quite interesting. Maybe she has some sort of a physical disorder where pressure changes affect her T?...

3. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      This is interesting and I have been wondering the same question myself. I visited Mont Blanc and Aiguille du Midi (3.842m) in June. I´d like to think it helped but it could have been just my mind playing tricks.... vacation, something else to think about. The cable car travels from 1035 m to 3842 m within some 20 minutes so even my not-so-great-working ears could sense the elevation.

Sure would like to repeat that experiment when the T gets really loud like it is right now.

4. Dan Reagan
      Chicken

Dan Reagan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      That's great David, I live in Colorado, so maybe I need to go into the mountains, I live in Denver. How does she rate her T otherwise? Is it usually constant with volume spikes fairly regularly?

• Creative Creative x 1
    5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Dan Reagan You are just a drive away. Take a few trips and let us know.

6. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      One could experiment this within pressure chambers that for example some athletes use to improve their aerobic exercise levels. These are famous here in Finland amongst our cross country skiers... :)

7. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      There seems to be some sort of a T clinic in Helsinki. It doesnt really tell too much about itself in the net. Any experiences, @Sound Wave ? http://www.tinnitus.fi/

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      She has had constant "T" for years and it never goes away. She also has volume spikes. She said that she noticed a couple years ago that on her trips to Colorado her "T" just disappeared. So the last two trips she paid particular attention (since she had habituated long ago). On each trip when she returned home she advised me that she had heard no noise the entire time at the high elevations. The noise returned when she returned home.

9. Robert Stiles

Robert Stiles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2005
      I live at Lake Tahoe (6200 ft). When I went to Houston recently (sea level) my tinnitus was unnoticeable. Upon returning I was fine for 2 days before awaking in the middle of the night with my ears ringing again. Any comments?

10. Cjcrawford

Cjcrawford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Yes!!! I also live in Ohio and this happens to me. Every single time we drive out to Wyoming it stops as soon as we hit the mountain areas. Upon coming back to Ohio, the Tinnitus returns within 3-4 days. We just came home Sunday from trip out west and I just woke up this morning (Wed) with the return of Tinnitus. Nice to know I am not the only one. My doctor can't explain this phenomenon to me, other than to say it has to have something to do with the change in air pressure. Guessing I need to relocate perhaps. I would not complain if that happened!

11. aaa

aaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      january 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otosclerosis
      hello all
      I have tinnitus and I noted that when I travel to Tahoe the tinnitus disappears completely and
      when I return to Los Angeles it comes back

Perhaps the pressure difference affects the baroreceptors on the auditory nerve

12. Donn Lemmer

Donn Lemmer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just joined this forum to research any benefits from altitude on ringing. I live in Michigan and just returned from two weeks in high elevation Utah; generally 7000-9000 feet. I noticed no ringing in Utah, but it unfortunately returned by the time we reached Oklahoma.

It was really quite amazing. Now, the question is whether we should move to a higher elevation to permanently avoid ringing, or will it be a short-term benefit?

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    13. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have actually experienced something similar. I was on vacation a few years ago when I first got tinnitus, and part of that I did spend high up in the mountains. I did not experience any tinnitus there (although I did get some reaction to the altitude). The tinnitus came back the day I left the mountains. This seems to definitely be something worth exploring.

I wonder if this again will be something like a temporary fix until our bodies get used to it.

14. Emily Lown

Emily Lown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection, Inflamed ear drum
      I live in Denver to and have T! I know this is way old but worth a shot to reach out to you!

15. Val J

Val J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Springsteen concert, sitting too close to the speakers
      My tinnitus worsen this winter when I ended up with fluid in my middle ear from a head cold. It continues to this day. I live in Tampa, FL. I noticed when I was in PA both in December and in March, the tinnitus went away. I then noticed while in Central Europe in May, no tinnitus. Most recently, I took a trip to Iowa. Took the same flights and airplanes from Tampa to Chicago to Cedar Rapids over the 4th of July. No problems with tinnitus the 7 days while in Iowa. My return trip was the same flights, stops and airplanes. Upon descending into Tampa, the pressure increased, the pooping started and the ringing in my ears started and continue to this day.

16. Hassan

Hassan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont know
      Hello. I live in beirut lebanon. I noticed when i go up to mountain ( 800 meter above sea level, my T level goes down significantly. Also I Feel my ears are clogged

• Informative Informative x 1