AM-101 Results Positive in Treating Acute Inner Ear Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Jun 28, 2012.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Am 101

Auris Medical presents the key results from its phase IIb study with AM-101, a novel intratympanic (i.t.) treatment for acute inner ear tinnitus, at the recent 6th International TRI Tinnitus Conference in Bruges, Belgium

The study demonstrated that the treatment was well tolerated and safe and showed a statistically significant reduction in various tinnitus measures as compared to placebo.

The outcomes were presented by Prof. Paul van de Heyning, head of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology at Antwerp University Hospital and one of the coordinating investigators of the study.

The double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel-dose phase IIb study with AM-101 was conducted in Germany, Belgium, Poland and the Netherlands, involving almost 30 sites. A total of 248 patients suffering from persistent acute inner ear tinnitus were randomized to receive three i.t. injections of either AM-101 at 0.27 or 0.81 mg/ml or placebo over three consecutive days. Their tinnitus had to be triggered by acute acoustic trauma, sudden deafness (idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss, ISSNHL) or otitis media and to be no older than three months. The clinical trial evaluated the safety and local tolerance of AM-101 and various efficacy outcomes. Study participants were monitored over 90 days.

The safety assessment of AM-101 in the phase IIb study showed no drug-related impact on hearing function. Anticipated adverse events related to the procedure of i.t. injection were of transient nature and occurred in moderate to low numbers. In terms of efficacy, the study demonstrated a dose-dependent improvement in various measures of the tinnitus symptom and its impact. Patients suffering from acute tinnitus with established cochlear origin (i.e. after noise trauma or otitis media) who received AM-101 at 0.81 mg/ml showed a statistically significant improvement (p <0.05 or <0.01) in tinnitus loudness, annoyance as well as tinnitus-related sleep difficulties and activity and participation limitations (TBF-12 questionnaire). In most cases the treatment effect started to appear within a few days from administration and continued to increase over the follow-up period. At Day 90, average reductions from baseline levels exceeded 50 per cent for subjective loudness, annoyance and sleep difficulties and close to 50 per cent for the TBF-12 score. Effects were somewhat less pronounced in patients with bilateral rather than unilateral tinnitus since only one ear was treated in the study as a precautionary safety measure. Efficacy outcomes with patients suffering from tinnitus related to ISSNHL were not conclusive for that subgroup overall, owing to an unexpectedly large rate of spontaneous recovery.

“The outcomes from the phase IIb study established proof of concept for AM-101’s efficacy in the treatment of acute inner ear tinnitus,” stated Prof. van de Heyning. “The robust and clinically meaningful improvements observed both for tinnitus loudness and patient-perceived tinnitus impact, as well as the good acceptance and tolerance of the treatment by patients, appear very promising.” Based on the positive outcomes from the phase IIb study, Auris Medical is moving ahead with the clinical development of AM-101, and is currently in discussion with regulatory agencies on the design for the planned phase III studies.

“The phase IIb trial confirmed the importance of a targeted approach to tinnitus treatment, given the many different aspects of this bothersome symptom,” stated Thomas Meyer, Auris Medical’s founder and managing director. He added: “The trial provided us with a wealth of data and insights into AM-101’s therapeutic benefits and safety, which together with the outcomes from the currently ongoing TACTT1 study and the input from regulatory agencies will be essential for the appropriate design of the confirmatory phase III studies and the path towards marketing approval.”

Unfortunately, this is only in first 3 months of inception and only certain types of tinnitus, but a positive step for research nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Among the Tinnitus Talk posters are, Dickey Phillips and Mc1, who each "took on one for the team" and underwent the AM-101 testing.

Haven't seen any postings from them recently. Many of us are interested in how things turned out.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, I wish I could get this now since I am approaching the 2.5 month mark.....:(

4. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
    5. Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
      If this worked why wasn't giving it when my tinnitus emerged. It's been four years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I thought for a moment these were new findings and was wondering where I missed out on this news. I was almost getting optimistic. Then I saw the date of the first ancient post and was disappointed.

It's always nice when ancient threads with provoking titles are bumped up five years later.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      FYI; AM-101 is an experimental drug which has not been shown to be profoundly effective yet. It's still pending for evaluation regarding the latest trials (to see if it's the medicine or the method which wasn't effective).

8. Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
      Experimental or not I would have preferred my doctor to administer it rather just tell me it may go away. I paid $300 dollars for him to tell me what I already knew. I'm glad thy're doing research. I just wish they would hurry it up and start helping people.

9. Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      I took part in the doubleid trials here in Germany. First I did not know if i was getting the real medication or the placebo. After the trials ended my ENT could not tell me if what I got the medication or not but she did offen me to get another injection with the medication.

Just to sahre my experiance i really dont know if it help or not. To be honest i did not had a notaciable reductin of T in the months that followed.

But now after 2 years have passed i still have T but i have days sometimes weeks where I bearely hear it but I guess I have to account that to habituation and lifestyle changes.

After a all this time and a recent Clinc stay I can just say that I feel that for me the most impact on my T lvl / awareness is emotional wellbeaing and stress reduction.

As to medication I take Mirtezapine 7,5 mg and Melatonin 10mg for sleep thats all.

I hoop that helps.

Cheers,

Chris

10. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      you take 10mg melatonin for sleep??? Is that not tooo much?

11. Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Yeah i guess so XD but i am a big Guy and they only come in 5 mg here so i started taking 2 but i read somewhere that Melantonin is good for T so way not :)