Amitriptyline for Reducing Headaches Caused by Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Josh59, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Josh59

Josh59 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long-term noise trauma
      Hello,

My ENT doctor advised me to take Amitriptyline (LAROXYL, antidepressant) for pain caused by hyperacusis.

Indeed, Amitriptyline in low doses can relieve neuropathic pain and migraines.

In my case, my hyperacusis continues to worsen with a lowering of the thresholds of tolerance to sound, which causes discomfort, vibrations and pain in the eardrums, but the most annoying thing today is the pain in the head with the low frequencies (even of low intensity). I have a headache in my head (like a migraine) because of the pain.

Do you think Amitriptyline could help me? Have you experienced any improvement with taking Amitriptyline for hyperacusis?

I haven't tried it yet because I'm afraid of making the tinnitus and hyperacusis worse. We can read a lot of testimonies about worsening with antidepressants.

2. NewLionel

NewLionel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      headphones
      I take 25 mg daily. I find it reduces anxiety.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Josh59 -- I think you're wise to be cautious about taking any kind of medication, especially antidepressants. I've suffered from daily headaches for many years, which I believe are caused by certain structural issues, but some I would classify as migraines. The thing that has helped me the most to control these headaches is a very unusual therapy discovered by German medics during World War II--coffee enemas.

It was something that struck me as very, very odd when I first heard of them, but when I discovered how well they relieved my headaches without taking medications, I was delighted. I understand most people will find it just too bizarre to even consider, but thought I'd at least mention it. -- The New England Journal of Medicine also reported in 1922 that coffee enemas relieve depression.

The two primary reasons I'm aware of that they work so well for pain and depression is that they detoxify the body, and stimulate the vagus nerve. There are many ways to stimulate the vagus nerve, so you may want to look into that to see if it might relieve your headaches.

4. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You seem like a nice guy but I have to say you believe in the weirdest shit ever. From nebulizing hydrogen peroxide to cure COVID-19 to putting coffee into your rectum. Where do you even get all these ideas? It's kind of hilarious so keep it up :D

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      Yes, for many people Amitriptyline works great against pain hyperacusis. For me it also worked, but I could not tolerate the side effects. Some use Nortriptyline or Duloxetine, the latter is newer on the market. I know people who have taken small doses for years for pain hyperacusis.

• Helpful Helpful x 1