An Experience From the 70s

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UserID, Sep 6, 2014.

1. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      In the mid 70s, a group with whom all my time was spent, a grassroots, long-haired sandal-wearing, clan of Jesus People, contained a remarkably stirred bunch of young men.

On some nights, one of the brothers would drive his van from house to house to ask other brothers if they wanted to join in praise and worship as he drove his vehicle around the outskirts of town. This would last for maybe an hour or longer.

The presence of God that filled that vehicle as God inhabited our praises (call it emotionalism if you'd like) was astonishing, extremely uplifting, and powerful. By the time I was let out of the van, I was always very "drunk" and saturated in the presence of God (He inhabits praise) in which I would bask for hours.

I loved those times. They were very inspiring and created a deep unity among the brethren.

On one of those nights, around midnight, while we were singing praises and driving along an unlit street, we encountered a young woman standing on the side of the road screaming and waving for help. She had been driving a convertible with her boyfriend; he was sitting in the passenger seat, after having attended a party, when she lost control of the car and ended up wrecked, upside down, in the brush about fifty feet off the road.

By then, there weren't as many brothers in the van as a few had already been taken home. The girl kept crying out, "I killed him! I killed him!" while she pleaded for our help to get her boyfriend free of the wreckage. The car had to be picked up in order to get the fellow out of that mess, and by the strength of God given to only five brothers -- one to pull him out of there -- that car was lifted and the young man pulled out.

We drove that scared, half sober couple to the hospital, and to this day I still hold that it was only by divine intervention we had the strength to lift that car off that young man. He was alive and pretty badly scratched up.

The grateful woman cried and cried in thanks as we headed for the hospital and together the brothers prayed for each of them. In time, both were healed and gave thanks to God.

• Like Like x 4
    2. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Yet another welcome read User .I love your book club thread ,breaks me away from my T .
      Hope your well now ,up and running so to speak .
      God Bless xx

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Beautiful story, User ID! And this story proves that God truly does give us the strength we need when it is required of us. That's something that each of us tinnitus sufferers can carry in our hearts when we are feeling down. Thanks for the reminder to keep the faith!!

• Like Like x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Well, truth is, Marline, I went back to work too early about two weeks ago, without truly being well, and now I'm coughing and hacking again, Marlene. I hate disappointing those who expect me to be wherever I work or perform, so I give in, ALWAYS, far too early and suffer the consequences. Trying to get a Z pack from my primary care doctor on a Saturday is like trying to find a dentist. They don't exist on weekends, but hide themselves at home or on their boats. So I'm going to have to wait for Monday, hopefully, by then, not with a strep throat which these things tend to lead to with me.

Wednesdays and Fridays we perform at the restaurant for a couple of hours, which I want to be ready for. I guess it's one of those things, being that it is possible to happen, so it will, huh? Doesn't sound like I have enough faith to fight it, does it?

Thanks for the applause. The above story came to me today, one that I'll never forget because of its contingency basis. So completely unaware of what was to take place that night, and then suddenly we're faced with "saving a life." Oh, I think the guy would have made it much longer if we'd not picked the car off him; still, it's about as close to a Samson-like story I'll ever experience, especially now that I'm 62. In those days, I was in my 20s, very small in size, no bigger than 130 lbs. at 5'10" or so. I looked like a piece of thread.

I hope you have a nice weekend without much rain and cooler than this tropical, never-ending humidity. Bless you, David.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Thanks for the comment, Karen. You are always so kind and thoughtful. I really like the new friends I'm making on this board. It's a nice place to come home to.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Awww! Thank you, David. And please keep those lovely stories coming! They touch my heart.

• Like Like x 3
    7. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      You always hit the heart by what you write about User ,I believe you have an Angel above you,you've come across as one of this life's persons with being give a good soul.theres others I would put in that mould I've come across in my 67 yrs .Do keep us going with your writing .
      Was hoping you were doing better health wise ,yes going back to work to early not good to do,strep throat is oh so painful ,I've had that twice stayed for 2 weeks at a time,so sooner you can get something the better I agree,think as one gets older ,it's harder to fight infections .Drs here don't work weekends ,but Goverment trying to change that,as when sick at weekend people clog up the local A and E ,so hospital under even more pressure.Like there not overloaded here already .Take it's same in the US .
      Weather here is cool,where you,Karen ,Della ,and lady Di live.No can do ,me and heat a no go ,plus I've had skin cancer twice so can't stay out in sunshine.Ive never been a sun lover,but I still got it .Lived abroad so think that was where it lay dormant from .Who knows for sure I do like UK winters,happiest time of the year for me.
      You take good care on health front User.get those meds .I agree with Karen keep on believing,it makes you stronger getting through life's trials.God bless

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Thanks for the good words, Marlene and Karen. I'm just kicking back today, maybe cook something different and read with the goal of catching up for my book club group.

I read an article about the thick oil/grease that's clogging the sewer systems and manholes in the UK. The writer explained that the cause of the buildup was from homes and restaurants who pour their grease down their sinks, and that fried foods are the primary fast food in your country. Lord knows, I love GOOD fish and chips, not too greasy and the fish stretching well past the bread on both sides. Nevertheless, we should be watching what it is we eat. In both our countries, fried foods leads the way in fast food joints, although by what I read, I'd say the UK may be a few lengths ahead of us on that score. How gross, that greasy mess! So, take heed, I'd say.

BTW, I don't live for the sun either, Marlene. Too many spots were snipped from my wrists and ankles to be biopsied. That was enough to scare me. Remember to wear sunscreen.

God is our refuge and strength.
      David

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      David,

I'm in a book club, too, but it is of the more conventional type. We read mostly fiction, and the last book we read was by native American writer Louise Erdrich, entitled "The Round House". I'm an avid reader, and usually get in a couple of additional books each month, besides the book club selection.

I agree about too many fried foods in our diet, and did not realize the UK might be consuming even more of those foods (especially those great fish & chips!) than we are in the U.S. At any rate, it's time for a change in all our diets! My two daughters have had an influence on me; one is a vegetarian, and one is a vegan. This year for Thanksgiving, my family may be gathering around the Tofurky!

Take care, and have a blessed day,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    10. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      That's a new one on me User,not seen anything in our press or TV,our drains it's leaves,our environmental agency say that's a problem in our wet winters. My husband just said he'd not heard of that,he scans his Daily Mail so no mention,maybe other Brits heard different on site.Leaves on a railway line ,will stop trains here.
      Think our countries on par with obesity,I'm right weight for my height,also husband ,my daughter is a vegetarian has been since 17 yrs old.Think to many kids today sit indoors on computers,not running around outside like we were saying last week. How we were out all day long as kids. They're not interested today.Times changed a lot ,not all for the good.
      Today's news is all about Scotland's devolution,plus the immigrants trying to get into Britian from France .Theyre told our streets are paved with gold,so they keep trying to get here.Its a nightmare for us ,end of the day we can't take them all in ,impossible,were an island hence were called the British isles.Hundred tried to jump on a ferry to England yesterday .The port in Calais France had to be closed.if they were political refugees they should be claiming safety in first country they came to ,not going through several countries plus the British Channel to reach England .Weve always been out in front to help anyone. But got to draw the line on it ,our welfare state can't support everyone who wants to come here.Those days are long gone,the wells ran dry.
      As far as sunscreen ,I never go out without it summer and winter.scary being told you have it.but took it in my stride.Couldnt change what happened ,just get on and deal with it .
      Lovely to chat ,hope you and Karen managed to get into a good book this weekend ,feet up and relaxxxxxx
      I'm sat watching Joan Rivers on TV ,sad she's passed .
      Take care User

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Marlene, You have a vegetarian daughter, too? How about that. What do you do when you have family get-togethers? Do you usually serve a vegetarian dish along with other things? I can come up with a lot of vegetarian recipes that everyone enjoys, but it's harder to come up with vegan recipes (no eggs, no meat, no dairy products) that everyone will like.

Yes, we were very sad about Joan Rivers, too. We've lost so many gifted, talented people this year, it seems.

Take care, and have a good evening,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    12. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Karen ,your girls ,and mine the same,she has tofu,looks unappetising to me and my husband ,but she enjoys it,she eats lots of veg and fruit.Stoneage diet . Get togethers she brings what she likes,so mums happy.
      I rarely eat meat, think I could go veggie quiet easily minus the tofu,think to much meat people can bring on colon cancer later on in life .Favourite veg is sprouts ,spinach,cabbage ,swede,,but having IBS it's a be careful not to over do the veg.Im same with fruit,my daughter the same with having IBS ,but she's good weight and looks healthy.
      She cooks meat for her husband ,but hates handling it,he eats more veg since he's been married ,she's a good cook,she does make me a quiche ,brings it over warm from her oven,and her dad gets his chocolate cake,as having balance issue with this T ,she knows standing for me a problem to do the baking I use to do.
      I liked Joan Rivers ,I'd watch her all evening given the chance,along with Robin Williams,2 best comedians to come out of the US in my view.Sad loss this year .heavens gained that's for sure..
      Have you looked up the Dr Mozzi diet,it goes by your blood type,I have since getting IBS it made lots of sense once I read it,put on to it by a UK site.
      Weather warmish today,ears hissing away,saw friend with T earlier ,hers is driving her crazy,told her to look TT up.
      Hope you have a good day Karen,stay well. Marlene X

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Have you tried tofurky, or any tofu meat substitute yet, Karen? My ex-girlfriend occasionally would sneak a bit of tofu in a meal which I didn't mind; but for me, it has to be fairly well hidden, cooked comparable to something commonly eaten or, to me, it sticks out.

My diet used to contain large amounts of soy milk, then my ENT told me he felt it would be best for me to switch to almond milk due to the potential for sinus buildup. I already have ETD that can sometimes rise up against me without warning, probably the weather, pollens or my work. These days, I like almond milk much better than soy, to his delight. Regular cow's milk and cheese I seldom drink/eat -- though I will sneak, go through periods where I'll set aside all the rules, and end up paying for it in the end (pun intended). Cow's milk and cheese are right on the top of the list for causing sinus congestion and constipation. Cheese moves through me about as fast as a turtle would.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      London grease in drainage system.

143.jpg

15. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @UserID,

Yes, I have tried tofu. When it is marinated or cooked in a recipe, it takes on the flavor of that recipe, so it's actually pretty good. I've even used some of the veggie crumbles you can buy, that are supposed to taste like "ground beef" or "ground sausage". Not so great, but you can get used to them. I don't use them very often, only on an occasional basis.

Like you, I've switched from regular milk to almond milk, and my husband uses coconut milk. So, we don't have much in the way of dairy products around our house. I'm sure you feel much better without all the cheese and cow's milk, if you've been having sinus problems. It's just a much healthier way to live!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      More grease sludge from Kingston in South London:

article-2385168-1B27BEED000005DC-136_634x442.jpg

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable photos, David! I'll bet our drainage systems look something like that, too!

18. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Marlene,

Your daughter sounds like a very good cook, and the quiche, still warm from the oven, sounds wonderful!

I've just looked up Dr. Mozzi's diet, and yes, I have heard of it before. I'm a blood type O positive, so I guess I can't totally get away from being a meat-eater. The main thing for me is to stay on a low-carb diet, and not eat breads, etc. It all sounds pretty good, except that I don't know if I can give up black tea! I gave up the diet sodas four years ago, thank goodness! Does yours sound like a good diet for your blood type, and have you tried to adhere to it?

19. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      User well ,I'd never have believed it,had I not seen those pics ,not heard anything about it,my that's got to get well and truly sorted ,will look up on Environment Agency ,see if there's anything written.London full of takeaways everywhere you look .Id want to know how these places are governed by them,got to be rules to there waste in these places .will have a look later.My sister in law lives London will be chatting to her later tonight ,disgusting is putting it mildly.Husband reading Sunday papers will let him have a look when he's done .Well I never.
      I read Karens post yes it must go on everywhere ,where these fast food outlets must be.Take licences away when they catch them doing it,but it's how do you go proving the culprits,hard one there,those pics will stay with me all day.Ah

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Karen that Dr Mozzi was an eye opener ,I'm 0 Rhesus neg ( posh group ) Ha Ha. Joking aside ,I do refer to it often ,especially more so in regards to IBS ,think o groups not bad ,compared to some .I think he's nailed my group pretty well.White bread definite no go ,but Wholemeal great. Prefer it's taste anyway,I can't eat tomatoes,but canned ones I can,pressurised makes the difference. Never have can fizz ( sodas ).drink lots of water,not big Tea drinker .got to have a real thirst on ,before asking husband to make me some tea,he's a tea king.Cows milk not good with even though I only use 1 per cent milk tried soya and goats ,not for me.All down to allergies.Mix and match ,very bland diet I'm on .Chicken/ Fish and veggies mostly,bit monotonous,but it's what it is,so daughters quiches make nice change,she does make lovely veggie soups.Keeps us in them all winter.Cant fault her in any way Karen,good soul .

• Like Like x 1
    21. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Being a man of faith I am sure you know that it was no coincidence that you and your friends just happened to be driving down that particular street at that time. Sometimes God needs people to act as guardian angels.

In May of 1997 while operating a train in New York, I saw a small child on the other track next to mine. He was just a toddler and was standing between the running rails just looking around. He had already managed to climb over one 3rd rail to get where he was without getting electrocuted. I immediately applied the emergency brakes and informed my crew about the child on the adjacent track. Additionally, I called on the radio to have all electrical power removed from the 3rd rails in the area.

I wasn't to too worried until I saw the headlight of a train that was about a mile away coming towards us on the track that the child was on. I immediately called that train on the radio to inform them of the child on their track and to bring their train to a stop until they heard from me that the child was clear of their track. Unfortunately, I did not receive any response from that train that would have confirmed that they had received my transmission. I was becoming frantic now because I new that if they did not receive my message and reduce their speed the child would be killed in less than 70 seconds. I advised my crew of the urgency of the situation.

I frantically continued to try and call the approaching train and to flashed my headlights so they might realize something was wrong up ahead in the event that they never receive my radio transmissions.

It turned out that my crew got the child safely off of the track and the approaching train had slowed down to a crawl. I later found out that they did receive my radio transmissions but I did not receive their confirmation transmissions for some reason.

I later found out that the child had crawled through a small hole in the fence of the yard where a person that was suppose to be watching him for his parents while they went to church. So, God was watching over that 3 year old little boy while his parents were in church worshiping him...:)

• Like Like x 3
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Great story from your life, Jim. What a day that must have been. Your adrenolyne was at an all time high, I'll bet. How difficult it seems sometimes to get God to move on our behalf. And then, suddenly, He is there. During the hardest times, those spiritual deserts, we try all the methodologies and formulas we learned, recite verse after verse, plead, cry and establish patterns of faithfulness, and still He simply won't budge any farther than to say, "No." And yet, we believe, and only because He remains faithful to remain in us and with us; maybe not always making our preferred choices; yet, He abides in us.

• Like Like x 2
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I've had IBS since the mid 80s, and, during my worst times, I got back on track through the aid of Heather VanVorous' site called helpforibs.com Her writing online and her books that I purchased recommended eating water soluble foods, those that don't take a lot of effort to break down. Also, I began to take digestive enzymes and probiotics.

I lean more toward IBS-C than IBS-D, and so my diet needs fiber; consequently, I will drink a fiber drink called Citrucel -- not the orange brand, since it disagrees with me -- but the fiber shake formula that the company quit making several years ago. Because it seems to last forever, I purchased 25 plastic containers of it from drugstore.com when I discovered they had chosen to stop making it, most of which I still have in my cabinet.

Heather does not recommend red meats, milk products, artificial sweeteners, fried foods, shortening or vegetable oil. For decades, all I ate was chicken and fish, and only baked. These days, I have gained a little fat on my bones, bringing my weight to around 164 lbs., which, for me, is pretty miraculous. But it wasn't as much the foods that did it. Instead, it was the pain meds I was prescribed years ago that I take on a daily basis that put on a much needed twenty lbs. on me.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      David,

Thank goodness you discovered that diet, plus the enzymes, etc., plus the pain medications. That is quite a restricted diet that you've been following, but it sounds like it has paid off for you. Have you tried drinking almond milk? It's really good, and is non-dairy.

It's great that you've been able to gain some weight, in spite of all the dietary restrictions!

• Like Like x 2
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      You should see some folks I know who have fibromyalgia, Karen, and are on the quaifenesin protocol. They are not permitted to consume any carbs at all, nor are they permitted to use anything that contains salisylate acid, such as roots, berries, herbs, and so much more.

Above, I wrote that I switched from soy milk to almond milk at the insistence of an ENT who told me soy is not good for sinuses. Of course, there are likely ENTs who disagree with him.

In considering T, I would give a thumbs up to only one ENT I've known in the 42 years I've been dealing with it. All the others were truly a waste of money and time.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That would truly be a difficult diet to keep up with! Glad you are able to use almond milk, and that you have at least some flexibility in your diet.

About T, I agree --- most of the ENT's I've been to have not been very helpful. One, however, was very nice about giving me a second opinion about my condition. He actually sent me for MRI/MRA screening. Nothing was found, but at least he was kind enough to assist me with a second evaluation.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Marlene ,

I just looked up your blood type. Wow! You are in an exclusive group, for sure. Did you have any concerns about your blood type back when you were pregnant with your children?

It sounds like you're following the Dr. Mozzi diet pretty closely, and that's a healthy way to eat. I don't think it's monotonous; that's pretty much the way my husband and I eat, too. We mostly eat chicken and fish, lots of fruits and veggies, and have tried to cut down on the carbs. I think that's a good diet for tinnitus, too. Sounds like you're doing all the right things!

I still don't know if I can totally cut out black tea (actually, I use Lipton's Decaf, which is a blend of teas), but I'll try cutting back. Drinking lots of water is good, too.

Thanks for telling me about the blood type diet!

• Like Like x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I suppose a search would lead me to these blood type diets. I've not heard of them. Anyone wish to lead me to the best spot?

29. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Karen you asked about my pregnancys 2 ,yes had trouble with my son ,12 weeks before due date hospitalised,but all worked out fine,he's got my blood group,but daughter my husbands.
      My son donates blood to premature baby unit s ,done this since the 80 s ,still doing it.I donated up to the 90 s
      Think it's important to do it ,never know when you'll need blood yourself.
      Think Dr Mozzi clever how he came up with what he did,when you get food upset,it's hard to trace it back over a day,but his blood groups are a good guidance what to avoid.
      If I have hot drink coffee it's always decafe,I only have 1 a day,rare to have 2 ,odd PG tip tea,think tea is a healthy drink ,but my old dad didn't think it good for kids to drink tea,think he thought it was as bad as smoking to give to kids ,me and my eldest sister often at odd times mention this,none of us 5 kids were ever tea drinkers as we grew up ,but he let us have cocoa drinks that was fine.I start drinking water as soon as I wake up,cranial osteopath told me to do that when I was ill.
      You and your husband eat really healthily ,don't think you can go far wrong with chicken and fish my favourite is Mackeral.
      Good to chat take care have a good week ahead Karen,drive safe to if you drive.xx

• Like Like x 1