Angry or Relieved?

Discussion in 'Support' started by tychobrae, May 15, 2014.

1. tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      I don't know whether to be angry or relieved. When I saw a (locum) ENT last month for the results of my MRI he said there was nothing there, end of, and started talking about masking. No talk of possible causes or further tests. However when I saw my GP today the ENT had written him a letter which said that MRIs don't always pick up potential causes of PT and further tests might be aporopriate.

I'm relieved that further tests now seem a possibility without me having to fight to get them done, but I'm angry yhat what he said to me was different from what he wrote to my GP. It's caused me a lot if anxiety over the last few weeks to think that they might not do any more tests. And I'm left wondering whether he wrnt away and actually read about PT after I had seen him, as I made it clear that I wasn't happy with his un-diagnosis.

I'm hoping the next ENT I.m due to see in a couple of weeks is a bit more clued up. Or at least more interested.

Sorry for the rant, needed to get it off my chest.....!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @tychobrae,

I agree with you --- it really makes me wonder about our doctors, and how much they know about PT. It's very possible that, as you say, he might have read something about PT that made him change his mind. At any rate, many doctors, including ENT's, don't know a lot about our condition.

It's possible that the additional tests you may be scheduled for will find something new. I hope so, as PT can be very treatable if a cause is found. My doctor recently told me that she thought I should not have the additional tests (CT scan with contrast) due to the additional radiation. I think doctors are very careful about which tests they order, because of the radiation issue.

Good luck, and I'll be interested to hear what happens if your doctor does prescribe additional testing for you.

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      Thanks, Karen. I'm feeling a little more calm today but that may be due to the meds my doctor gave me yesterday! The ENT I'm due to see is the head of the team (not a locum) and I've seen him before, though not regarding tinnitus, and he seemed very competent so I'm hopeful.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Tychobrae,

I'm glad you're feeling a little bit calmer today, and that you have some prescription meds to help you. Let's hope that the ENT you're going to see will be able to assist you. This condition is such a mystery, and there are so many possible causes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and if you ever need to vent, please contact me. I totally understand what you're going through!!

• Like Like x 3
    5. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Such a nice lady, God bless!

6. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      They should all drop the E in ENT and just be NT's. Find a younger ENT who's passionate about solving problems rather than just writing a prescription...

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      I thought I'd do an update with some positive news...I'm feeling fairly reassured after seeing the new ENT. He knew at least as much as I did about PT, he answered all my questions and he's going to do more tests including an MRA/MRV and a Doppler. He's also referring me to a speech therapist (since my voice has been affected by something going on in my throat which started at the same time as the PT) and I'm seeing a hearing therapist. He was also friendly, professional and interested. Such a contrast from the previous ENT I saw! What a relief!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tychobrae,

That is wonderful!! I hope you get some answers soon as a result of your upcoming tests. It's so nice to find a friendly, professional doctor who is really interested in helping you find a cause for your PT.

Good luck, and please do let us know about the outcome of your tests.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello , Just read your blog, I have t since April20/14..don't know what is a MRA?MRV & Droppler, my ent never suggest that ..please let me so I can tell him thanks!

10. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Best wishes!

11. Laura89
      Tired

Laura89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 14, 2014
      An MRA/MRV is a type of MRI in which they put a contrast dye in your bloodstream to see the veins and arteries in your brain. Someone with vascular tinnitus would benefit from this. But not necessarily someone with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      In my case the MRA/MRV will be looking at my neck. A Doppler is a kind of ultrasound which also looks at blood flow in the blood vessels.

13. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      That is what I need , I had whiplash a few years ago, had physo done, never kept up. started a few months ago, and my t started then..going for Mri for neck and , maybe they can find something with my neck and cure it..thanks for listening keep in touch..you hang in there!

• Like Like x 1