Anorexia and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Neenie, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I fought with anorexia for 10 years and finally won. I never gave up fighting. Tinnitus is the same. Some people get over it in a shorter time, some people battle for years. But eventually we all get to a point where we realise that we can not accept the continual poor quality of life when you live with an illness. And then we take the steps to change it. Much like tinnitus, the anorexia is still there, with me at every meal, but the difference is now I control what happens rather than the anorexia. Tinnitus is the same. It will most likely stay with you forever, but you will have control over it to a point where it isn't affecting your every day life. Check out my You Tube video:

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Dan Turner
      Transparent

Dan Turner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Good for you Neenie.
      You're a tough gal and Tinnitus is just another one of those speed bumps to negotiate. Hopefully....one day....the speed bumps are "cured" but the time being, this is a good approach and good attitude. Proud of ya gal!!

Dan Turner
      Conyers, Ga

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Imagine the people you've helped with that video.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Oh wow. I have goosebumps. Big hugs

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks man! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Good job, you look great now!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Good to hear you are better from the anorexia, let's hope the same happens for tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Wow, how did I miss this. You have a good heart creating and publishing the video; awesome. Surely will help many in the same kind of situation.

I'm really happy for you.

Markku

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thankyou for posting that video Neenie.

I suffered with an eating disorder for 25+ years. I can relate very much so.
      Amazing recovery. We will recover from this current intrustion too. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      If I can do it, you can do it. Like I said, it's still there bossing me around, telling me what to do, but now I just ignore it. And it gets less and less every month. I've been at a normal weight for 2 years now and it took me that long to finally be ok with things. So everything takes time. So will tinnitus. 2 years ago, hell even one year ago, I would have never believed that after all this time I'd be able to eat a normal meal again, but I can! So even if you think "everyone else is habituating and I'm not" (which is what I think ALL the time), well, chances are that you are wrong. You can in fact habituate. Some people have an easier time than others but that is not to say it won't happen to you. It does take effort. Recovering from anorexia didn't just "happen", I had to put effort in, every day, every meal, for years! But just don't give up! :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Here are a few photos:

Before, during, and after
      gross.jpg DSCN3993.JPG 2013-02-16 14.10.44.jpg

This process took me 12 years to get over. In hospital, out of hospital, in hospital, out of hospital. And repeat this for 12 years. I have been hospital free for 2 years now and although it's still scary I think I've pretty much finally won that battle. Everyone tells me, oh, if you can get over that, then you can get over tinnitus. Incorrect. Just because tinnitus isn't life threatening doesn't make it any less painful. In fact, it's worse than anorexia because if you decide to not eat, it's a choice you make. Sure you feel terrible and nearly die, but ultimately it's still your choice to live like that. Tinnitus isn't. It just happens and then you have to deal with it. Everyone has had bad things happen to them in their live and most people eventually move on and keep living. Tinnitus is the same. Its debilitating at the beginning, and it will stay debilitating as long as you allow yourself to remember the good times without tinnitus. This is pointless. The fact is, you have it now, and you could die tomorrow and do you really want to have spent the last day of your live feeling anxious about a ringing in your ear? No. So just live each day assuming it will be your last and make the most out of it. Do things that will make you laugh. Do things that will make you feel good. And most of all, do not give tinnitus even a second of your energy. My best friend died (anorexia/suicide). Happens so quickly. One minute you're there, next you're not. So please try to make the most of the day and try really hard to be as happy as you can despite the tinnitus. The end.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cbt neenie?

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      ahahaha, nah, i still absolutely hate cbt coz it's whole premise is that humans are rational people, and I sure as hell am not so therefore none of it applies to me! I know i know, you think it'll be useful....i'll still try it out, cant lose anything really

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      neenie ,i dont know really if your tinnitus hasnt something to do with all the changes in your body because of that long period of anorexia...

• Hug Hug x 1