Another Mishap! Container Handle Banged Metal, Close to My Ears

Discussion in 'Support' started by Petloy, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I had a container van placed in my driveway, I'm moving stuff out. I opened the container and the handle just banged a metal and it was like inches from my ears, it was loud. I immediately hear my T go up! sigh, it's up right now. I hope it goes down. Just venting.

2. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I hope it does too. It will. You have to forget it, you know the drill :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012

4. Marty

Marty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Hello. I've had similar things happened myself, and my tinnitus went back to normal. I believe yours will too. Try not to think about it!

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Help! It's really bad this time, My T is so high I think I made a permanent increase.

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Peter, we all have mishaps from time to time from loud noises we have no control over from my 7 year old screaming in the house to a car with a loud muffler zooming by. It is very unlikely that these events would cause further damage to your hearing or we'd all be deaf by now from the random loud noise occurrences over our lifetimes. The anxiety and worrying is what is causing it to be louder. So, relax, give it some time and it will come back down.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      thanks erik

8. Marty

Marty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Yes, as Erik said, I do believe the worrying is making it worse than you think. I know it's not always easy, but try doing something you love to get your mind off it!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Thank you for the support I needed it. But I'm in my sixth month of T and I had permanent increases or changes in T and Temporary ones that went down after several hours or 1-2 days. On my 2nd month I went to a church service with amplified music and my T change, a fire alarm hit me once it change too, my temporary ones are loud mufflers, a loud shout near my ear, inadvertently turned my ipod on with loud volume.

The difference between my permanent changes and temporary spikes are the instantaneous increased in my ringing. I am worried that this noise exposure (the metal handle sounded like a hammer pounding on metal) may be permanent because the T immediately changed after the bang.

What's is also distressing for me because prior to my recent exposure I am not thinking about my T anymore, I can sleep 6-7 hours, even take a nap during the day, and read or study in silence....and I learned that TIME was the healer of my T...so I'm back to square one...waiting for Time to help me habituate again.

10. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I also have what you desribe, the permanent changes due to some noise exposure. Trouble is I'm now getting changes for the worse when I havent been exposed to noise. I'm so scared, nay terrified. I know that wont be helping but I just am. My legs turned to jelly today now that its become clear I have it in both ears as a nasty electrical noise.

Yours was only a small event though, not like an hour of organ music. It was just a few seconds. So this may then be a temporary spike. Hope so. The only thing you actually can do is try to forget it, there actually isnt anything else for us to do is there?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Thanks Louise, I agree there's nothing else we can do but wait for Time to pass and let our brain habituate to it again, I hope "WE" feel better soon!

12. ct1

ct1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      I'm in the same boat as you. A couple of weeks ago I accidentally blasted my ears with a car stereo. It was only for a split second, but it has definitely affected my T.

13. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      I think most people are affected to some degree or another by sharp, loud noises causing ear discomfort, but pass off the ensuing ringing as just an annoyance that will go away. Those of us with the condition react in fear, dreading the possibility that this could be the catalyst to set off another multi-day or multi-week episode. It's my belief that one sharp noise or prolonged exposure, while something to be avoided, is relatively insignificant when compared to a lifetime of miscellaneous incident, exposure, or illness which, when combined, all contributed to the onset of tinnitus.