Another Success Story Yeah!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by LuisFalcon, Oct 20, 2018.

1. LuisFalcon
      Breezy

LuisFalcon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma in a club
      Hi everyone!

I'm a 36 years old guy. I'll try to be brief in this story, but I have to say that when I went through this tinnitus situation I read many stories here that somehow helped me to understand what was going on and how to face it.

It was exactly 2 years and 3 months ago, on July 2016 on a Friday night, after leaving office, a colleague asked me to go the club and have fun with other friends. I didn't really want to go to the club but then I said: "Oh come!, I'm not used to go the clubs so often, so once a year it's ok, Let's have fun dude!". I couldn't imagine what could happen later.

We went to the first club. It was a really noise club, we couldn't even talk each others, just drinking beers and looking for chicks. After being there for almost one hour, I noticed a high pitching noise in my ears that commonly disappeared after some minutes but it didn't that time. Then we went to other 2 clubs and the 3rd one was the most noise club we get and we were close to the speakers for a couple of hours. Damn...!

I took a taxi and I came back to home at 3am and the pitching sound became highest down the road. I thought that it will disappear soon and I went to bed hearing that sound.

The next day it didn't disappear. It bothered me all day so I started to get worried by night and I couldn't sleep, I got anxious and looking for information about what I was going through, then I found a new word: Tinnitus.

The night I couldn't sleep was the only night I couldn't, but a big battle just was started against anxiety and a fear that my life was turning into no way back to normal life.

Trying to sleep was difficult, concentrate in my job as well. I tried to measure it in a quite room to know if it gets lower everyday. It really shocked me, I've never had that before and I've never went through this anxiety before. I felt a big hole in my chest for almost 4 weeks, but the first two weeks I was on my knees in the middle of my room begging God for help, it was a really personal feeling, because you cannot carrying the world in your shoulders all time.

During the first week I went to an ENT doctor, I passed a couple of hearing tests and there were no damage, actually doctor said I have a musical hearing because I can even hear lowest sound than average people, which I think it's true because I really like the silence, it allows me to meditate.

I can say that I get a level 7 out of 10 from the beginning, then after 2 weeks from getting that high pitching sound, it started to get a bit lower, 6 out of 10. After a 2 months I got 5 out of 10.

I started loving every white sound that masks the pitching sound in my ears, like air, water in the shower, crickets at night. Oh crickets in nature! I will never complain about it.

I discovered that brain it's plastic. In simple words it means you get used to it. It's not that bad as you may think. It means that your brain will understand that it won't kill you but it takes a time to realize it and as long as you get out from that anxiety, you will be back to your normal life. Believe me! that's the way it works. I was hoping from the first day the sound disappears soon and not ruins my life. Being more focus in that sound than your life it's a mistake, so don't measure it, don't let it changes your life, read the bible if you believe in God and watch out for high sounds (it's an obvious advice).

Now after more than 2 years I can barely notice it, just a couple of minutes before go sleep but it doesn't bother me anymore. Maybe it's 2 or 3 out of 10 level and I feel good again. Despite my girlfriend broke up with me 2 moths ago, I don't want to go through this anxiety anymore, that's the problem that I had to deal with, but now that I know what is up to it, I'll be prepared in case it appears again.

Have a super excellent day!

Luis.

• Like Like x 10
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. PlsHelpMe
      Dead

PlsHelpMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 28th, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A friend shot a cap gun into my ear. (Once)
      Congratulations

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Whistles

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      too bad there isn't a medical model that explains how chronic sufferers recover.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LuisFalcon
      Breezy

LuisFalcon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi John,

You are right. There is no process nor medical model that explains how recovering happens. Maybe because Tinnitus it's a perception, something subjective that doctors cannot measure it the right way. But recovering happens in a way that is specific to each person.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am sorry to rain on your parade, but this is not a success story. It is a story of habituation. It didn't feel good to get my hopes up, only to be disappointed...

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LuisFalcon
      Breezy

LuisFalcon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Bill,

I respect your opinion.

The first days I went through tinnitus I read many stories in this forum and I swore someday I'll write my own success story too. It's not a completely tinnitus gone story but I'm still hoping it will someday. From my point of view my life came back to normal and I'm pretty confident when I said that.

A success story is not only when tinnitus is gone, it is also the way you face it, more than feel disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am glad that you shared your story with us. It is just the wording of the thread title that I felt a little uneasy about. I hope that someday you will get to hear silence again!

• Like Like x 3
    8. threefirefour
      Rebellious

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Power outlet

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It sounds quite quiet now if you're just hearing it before bed?

@Bill Bauer how is your tinnitus now?

10. Contrast

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      ENT's only test for hearing loss within the human voice range.

I believe it is impossible to have tinnitus from Acoustic trauma without hearing damage, especially if tinnitus is a phantom noise compensating for hearing loss.
      http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/#hiddenloss

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. Contrast

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      Most success stories come from non-community members, (1 post ever) and it seems they were lucky to get tinnitus without noticeable hearing loss, or chronic ear pain, balance issues, TMD.

They also don't seem to know about common themes like hidden hearing loss, or that ENT's are near useless for our condition outside of outruiling a tumor, and prescribing steroids Yet if tinnitus was caused by acoustic trauma you could out-rule a tumor yourself or a GP could do so. Audiologist intentionally use outdated methods to check for hearing loss.

Outside of being locked away in FDA vaults, there is no regenerative medicine to repair the inner ear, or brain stimulation to target tinnitus. Just long walls of text on tinnitus forums about how people learn to suffer with enthusiasm.

We are living in the dark ages.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Power outlet?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. threefirefour
      Rebellious

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Power outlet.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Why did you feel the need to mention one here?

15. threefirefour
      Rebellious

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Because

Power outlet.

• Funny Funny x 2
    16. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      I think this story is about T lessening in volume. It happened to me before this worsening and I know its a great thing. You dont hear it 95% of the day so it is not problem in your life anymore.

Now take care! Or be like me....

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      if you dont hear it 95% of your day its a success!!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LuisFalcon
      Breezy

LuisFalcon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey guys!

Just to address some comments. After more than 2 years, I have no hearing loss, nothing noticeable at least, maybe it's hidden, but I don't know at what pace, perhaps a teenager with an almost full time headphones will likely to get hearing loss before me.

My habits didn't change drastically, I avoid noisy places as I did before I got T and I can say that I don't hear it 95% of time, so I hope it doesn't bother me for the longest time possible.

• Like Like x 1
    19. threefirefour
      Rebellious

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Power outlet.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LuisFalcon
      Breezy

LuisFalcon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Happy New Year!

21. threefirefour
      Rebellious

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Power outlet ^_^

• Creative Creative x 1
    22. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July/August 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Great that you got better but unfortunately that’s not possible for everyone. I’m tired of stories by people saying ‘believe me, it gets better for everyone’. One of the biggest reasons why so many people don’t take his condition seriously.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 3
    23. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      AMEN SISTER! (good to see you around btw)

If people would just add a MIGHT or POSSIBLY to the "get better" it would mean the world to me........A succes story where the poster said it can/possibly/might get better would be very welcome in my opinion.......I simply don't condone those who say it gets better like some universal truth that applies to each and everybody......because it is a lie.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      Hi @LuisFalcon -- Thanks much for your post, and sharing your story. I know you're trying to send a positive message of hope with your words, but you have to realize that your experiences won't be everybody else's experience. I wake up every morning feeling like my head, ears, throat--and even my gut--are being electrocuted, and each discordant electrical impulse sent through my system feels like I'm being punched, over and over again.

I've discovered mHBOT, and of all things, eating oatmeal (a nervine) every day helps considerably to calm my system down. Various kinds of energy balancing techniques help as well. But they only go so far, and only last so long, before the relentless pounding ramps back up, leaving me a shaking, trembling mess. No amount of my brain somehow rationalizing that this is not going to kill doesn't work--believe me, I've tried. For me, that would be akin to my brain trying to rationalize that after a few months, it's OK to walk on a badly broken leg.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1