Another Success Story Yeah!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by LuisFalcon, Oct 20, 2018.

1. LuisFalcon
      Breezy

LuisFalcon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma in a club
      Hi everyone!

I'm a 36 years old guy. I'll try to be brief in this story, but I have to say that when I went through this tinnitus situation I read many stories here that somehow helped me to understand what was going on and how to face it.

It was exactly 2 years and 3 months ago, on July 2016 on a Friday night, after leaving office, a colleague asked me to go the club and have fun with other friends. I didn't really want to go to the club but then I said: "Oh come!, I'm not used to go the clubs so often, so once a year it's ok, Let's have fun dude!". I couldn't imagine what could happen later.

We went to the first club. It was a really noise club, we couldn't even talk each others, just drinking beers and looking for chicks. After being there for almost one hour, I noticed a high pitching noise in my ears that commonly disappeared after some minutes but it didn't that time. Then we went to other 2 clubs and the 3rd one was the most noise club we get and we were close to the speakers for a couple of hours. Damn...!

I took a taxi and I came back to home at 3am and the pitching sound became highest down the road. I thought that it will disappear soon and I went to bed hearing that sound.

The next day it didn't disappear. It bothered me all day so I started to get worried by night and I couldn't sleep, I got anxious and looking for information about what I was going through, then I found a new word: Tinnitus.

The night I couldn't sleep was the only night I couldn't, but a big battle just was started against anxiety and a fear that my life was turning into no way back to normal life.

Trying to sleep was difficult, concentrate in my job as well. I tried to measure it in a quite room to know if it gets lower everyday. It really shocked me, I've never had that before and I've never went through this anxiety before. I felt a big hole in my chest for almost 4 weeks, but the first two weeks I was on my knees in the middle of my room begging God for help, it was a really personal feeling, because you cannot carrying the world in your shoulders all time.

During the first week I went to an ENT doctor, I passed a couple of hearing tests and there were no damage, actually doctor said I have a musical hearing because I can even hear lowest sound than average people, which I think it's true because I really like the silence, it allows me to meditate.

I can say that I get a level 7 out of 10 from the beginning, then after 2 weeks from getting that high pitching sound, it started to get a bit lower, 6 out of 10. After a 2 months I got 5 out of 10.

I started loving every white sound that masks the pitching sound in my ears, like air, water in the shower, crickets at night. Oh crickets in nature! I will never complain about it.

I discovered that brain it's plastic. In simple words it means you get used to it. It's not that bad as you may think. It means that your brain will understand that it won't kill you but it takes a time to realize it and as long as you get out from that anxiety, you will be back to your normal life. Believe me! that's the way it works. I was hoping from the first day the sound disappears soon and not ruins my life. Being more focus in that sound than your life it's a mistake, so don't measure it, don't let it changes your life, read the bible if you believe in God and watch out for high sounds (it's an obvious advice).

Now after more than 2 years I can barely notice it, just a couple of minutes before go sleep but it doesn't bother me anymore. Maybe it's 2 or 3 out of 10 level and I feel good again. Despite my girlfriend broke up with me 2 moths ago, I don't want to go through this anxiety anymore, that's the problem that I had to deal with, but now that I know what is up to it, I'll be prepared in case it appears again.

Have a super excellent day!

Luis.

• Like Like x 11
      • Winner Winner x 4
    2. PlsHelpMe
      Dead

PlsHelpMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 28th, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A friend shot a cap gun into my ear. (Once)
      Congratulations.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Too bad there isn't a medical model that explains how chronic sufferers recover.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LuisFalcon
      Breezy

LuisFalcon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma in a club
      Hi John,

You are right. There is no process nor medical model that explains how recovering happens. Maybe because tinnitus it's a perception, something subjective that doctors cannot measure it the right way. But recovering happens in a way that is specific to each person.

5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @LuisFalcon -- Thanks much for your post, and sharing your story. I know you're trying to send a positive message of hope with your words, but you have to realize that your experiences won't be everybody else's experience. I wake up every morning feeling like my head, ears, throat--and even my gut--are being electrocuted, and each discordant electrical impulse sent through my system feels like I'm being punched, over and over again.

I've discovered mHBOT, and of all things, eating oatmeal (a nervine) every day helps considerably to calm my system down. Various kinds of energy balancing techniques help as well. But they only go so far, and only last so long, before the relentless pounding ramps back up, leaving me a shaking, trembling mess. No amount of my brain somehow rationalizing that this is not going to kill doesn't work--believe me, I've tried. For me, that would be akin to my brain trying to rationalize that after a few months, it's OK to walk on a badly broken leg.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1