Another Thread, Another Spike, Another Request to Ease My Anxiety

Discussion in 'Support' started by Red, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Habituation's something I had obtained over the spring/summer. Thankfully at a time where it really needed to be less of a problem. I've had a lot of difficulty controlling my pain levels for most of 2018.

As a lot of members do seem to around here, it can make you cocky. I've had a lot of paranoia over guns, particularly recordings of ones. Out of morbid curiosity, which might make you lose respect for me, I decided to watch the stream of the recent mass shooting on my phone, sitting back, volume so low I could barely hear the voice of the commentators. The sound of the gun scared me and sounded so real. It didn't hurt or spike me and I've questioned how loud it was. I wouldn't say it is the loudest thing I've ever heard.

Part of my paranoia is fueled by the fact that, a lot of permanent tinnitus increases our gradual, not complete until 1-2 weeks following a noise trauma.

It's been slightly over a week since then. Memory if the week has been a bit fuzzy. I started developing a tinnitus spike around last Tuesday/Wednesday. Gunshot sound on my phone was Sunday. However there are a few other possible factors for a spike:

I've had poor sleep habits/had 2 or more days, especially Sunday and Saturday night.

I've had a mild cold with some congestion, mostly coughing, that is starting to resolve.

I've been anxious all week.

I need to clean my ears. My left ear is clogging up when I lie down. But no ear cleaning method seems safe and I'm too nervous.

I'd been considering pred but have been unsure if it's actually warranted and if I'm just being paranoid.

I've been scared just because this spike has sounded different than most and has brought back my head tinnitus while also being a tone that's been difficult to mask, possibly even reactive.

Dunno what I want out of this thread. Reassurance or advice, I suppose. Anything.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would attribute it more towards lack of sleep and the cold. The gun sounds on your phone are going to be an order of magnitude quieter than the decibel level of a gunshot. The actual gunshots is probably more more than 10x as loud.

Lack of sleep as well as loud noise exposure gives me spikes, but unless you were playing your phone at max volume right next to your ear I would have a hard time seeing it as the culprit.

Also, which recent mass shooting? It's sad that they have become so commonplace that I have to ask.

3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      For starters don't sit around looking up morbid things and dwelling on dark thoughts and allowing it to mushroom to Doom and gloom. You're only multiplying your anxiety and making your t worse. Go out and be active on anything else that is positive and fun, don't dwell on negative stuff .... It will feed your paranoia

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know...
      Easier said than done. I am the embodiment of anxiety. Almost got medicated for it. Lexapro but that was a bullet dodged. Still, it is disheartening to try and not worry and then end up not feeling any better. I think a lot of people here can relate.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This spike is really, really...different. It starts out decently quiet when I wake up then just keeps ramping up in volume the longer the day goes on. I don't know what it means. Focusing can be an issue for me during spikes but it has never been this bad.

I don't know how it would be possible to go from habituated to where I am now. My cold isn't completely over but it's improved some. No improvement T and H wise. Been about 6-9 days now days. Still questioning if I should get pred.

6. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I know exactly how you feel, I'm going through a similar phase. Yesterday I'm pretty sure I spent 12+ hours on this site trying to relax myself. Mines been going on a few weeks now and I KNOW it will settle down, It always has. Just like with you I was not exposed to any loud sounds and I think it's T just doing what it wants

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Technically there was a loud sound I was exposed to. I just question how loud it actually was and if I wasn't just scared by the suddenness of the noise/realism of the sound.

I've had a clogged ear since before this which did spike me but did not unhabituate me.

My head T has also returned and I've had a fair bit of tingling/a skin crawling sensation consistently, most likely coinciding with noise since that has also been getting worse throughout the day.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anymore thoughts?
      My tinnitus has become very reactive and my H has gotten worse. These kinds of delayed reactions are in line with what I know for permanent worsening. Whereas temporary spikes tend to be immediate. Surely reactive T/H spikes don't come about from anxiety/colds?

9. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Here in CA there is a support group for T sufferers, often we have picnics in the gardens here or have coffee at some quiet place...people get together and talk about their anxiety or problems with T and it is very nice and welcoming. Perhaps there is a place that you can look up that does this regularly? I hope you are feeling better soon!

10. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Dear Red,

I really know what you feel, as I have had my T increased those past months...

I eat too much sugar, lactose and fat food (also too salty) and clearly this doesn't help at all !

Also I take too much caffeine and don't move, relax enough !

What about you and food ???

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I appreciate you talking to me. I do have a bad diet currently and would like to change it to something more balanced. I do not believe that diet has any connection with what I am going through right now, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I hope you are feeling better today. Did you try yoga? It will get you out and about. Also, physical therapy for pain management? Also are you able to work part time? I have head tinnitus up down all around and it was difficult to adjust. I was put on the right med which did calm down my anxiety and did not interfere with tinnitus. Get better and get well soon.