Antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOs, TCAs, TeCAs)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Pat, May 10, 2012.

1. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      Follow-up...i did try melatonin. not much help. tried mid-nite, alteril. not much help.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Yeah dan, let me/us know about the Steroids. My ENT doctor asked me if I wanted to go on a two week program.
      I guess, those are some strong drugs with possible side effects. My understanding is, it's not guarantee results.

I too was prescribed 50 mg Trazodone. It didn't seem to help me sleep, so the doc gave me something else to try.
      Please reply if you get positive results.

3. Sybs
      Inspired

Sybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I am really confused by this! I have been on Sertraline for about 3 years. My GP has suggested I come off them as a known side effect is Tinnitus. If so, why are people going on to Sertraline as a possible help for T?

• Like Like x 1
    4. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I suffered for 3days and broke down last night and took a 10mg Amitriptyline. I slept better a my T has let up finally. I have a problem with one of the side effects of Amitriptyline so I am going to the doctor Monday to see about Remeron. I will let you know what happens.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I started Remeron 3 weeks ago - no bad side effects and the first week it seemed to decrease t and make it more tonal rather than high pitch electrical screeching. Makes u sleep really well and have fascinating dreams! Does increase your appetite the first couple of weeks but that seems to have decreased. also felt very tired first few days but that past also. It has lifted me from the depression and slightly curbed the anxiety. I am only on 15mg at the moment and will be going back to doctors next week and will ask to increase to 30mg.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      So Amitriptyline does reduce your noise Goofy?

Remeron is pretty special. I have heard that it alone can reduce T noise in some people. Not me though. But its amazing for sleep. Let us know. I'm sure you will :)

7. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      You seem to have had the same reaction to this drug as me Rhea, except for the effect on the noise - I didn't get that.

The sleep is the thing with this drug. I'm 5 months in - take it every night - and it still puts me out like a light on the same dose.

I saw a private psychiatrist to get an anti-anxiety drug I wanted and when he found out I was on Remeron too his eyes sparkled and he said "It's a really good drug" and he meant for mood and depression. He wanted me to go up to 30mg but I've stayed at 7.5mg just for sleep.

8. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I can officially say that my T has been down all day. I would say that my T was on a scale of 9-10 the last 3 days and now is about 2-3. I am confinement that Amitriptyline must have helped T and sleep also. I must add that I have tried to avoid sodium as much as I could the past couple days also.

• Like Like x 1
    9. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Has anyone had any issues with Remeron causing hyperaucusis?

10. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Brilliant Goofy - I'm really glad for you. What a lea from 9/10 to 2/3! Will you stay on the Amitriptyline then? Am fancying trying it myself now ;)

11. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I think I may have - but its only slight. I've just had a few days where it seems worse, but only the odd few and I think that probably would've happened anyway.

Do you get Hyperacusis with Remeron? Or are you asking before you try it?

12. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I want to switch to Remeron because of a side effect that I have with Amitriptyline. From what I have read the are comparable.

13. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I'm on it now (for the last 2 months) and it's been great for giving me sleep. But, I only had ultra high frequency T in my left ear prior to starting on it and now I get it in my right ear too, though not all the time. And I noticed that for the past 45 days or so I've been sensitive to loud sounds, especially high pitch ones. I'm not sure if neither of this is connected to Remeron but I don't know what else it could be. I've been eating very healthy and exercising, basically taking care of myself. I was also recently asked to try Xanax therapy (3 times a day at .25mg), and that's the only other change (3 weeks ago). I just want to start getting better with time, not worse... :(

14. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Did the T in the right ear start before you started on the Xanax Unik?

Who recommended Xanax 3 x a day? Its a Benzodiazapine and they can cause problems with addiction and withdrawl also can be implicated with tinnitus!

My T started in my left ear only. It was like that for 5 months and then suddenly just started in the right (I actually heard it start when I was lying in bed in the morning). But, from my readings I think its something that frequently happens to T sufferers, starts in one and then end up in the other as well. So that might be nothing to do with the drugs. Then again it might. :arghh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I seem to be having some issues with it. But I'm not sure if it is related to Remeron.
      was recommended by a doctor at the Tinnitus Clinic here in Michigan. I was taking clonazepam once a day prior to that, also minimum dose. They want me to be on it for three months since in their experience this therapy helped some. I know of the addiction risks and I'm very concerned about it but I was assured by that doctor as well as my therapist that with that dose it's not going to be an issue.

And yes, my right side seems to have started after switching to xanax. I too was woken up in the middle of the night terrified that I know had it in my right ear. I don't want to take any meds period but I don't know if I can deal with it right now otherwise. I think I could possibly drop Xanax but I sleep, I have to get that...

16. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      You do need sleep that is for sure. Remeron did it for me. Xanax has a bad reputation. Some people on it start craving their next dose a couple of hours after they've taken it. Also the Benzos are just bad. Havent they suggested any of the anti-convulsant medications instead?

17. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Yes, I'm trying to get off the benzos all together. My doc and I are working towards it now. Hopefully, I should be off of it in a few weeks. I just hope that I can deal with it without it. On top of this stupid T, I now also developed some large floaters in my left eye. Needless to say, they bother me as well (had it checked out and it's nothing serious, it's just annoying as hell since I now hear stuff and see stuff)... It's just been a series of bad stuff that happened to me over these last few months. Hopefully this is it and the worst is behind me.

18. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      OMG - I have had a large increase in floaters twice in the past 2 months. They are vile. There's loads of them now, all shapes and sizes an they are constantly moving fast when I move my eyes. This happened after I started taking Clonzepam - another Benzo and I am now tapering off it and hoping I don't have another worsening of the floaters.

I do understand Unik, I am in the same position - awful noise AND floaters. Markku has T and floaters too.

I hope that the worst is behind you too x

19. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Unfortunately I definitely have floaters from benzo withdrawal too :( Withdrawal is behind me for 2 months now, and floaters are still here. But at least they didn't increase now, thanks god. They remain the same and my perception over them becomes slightly better with time.

20. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Wow, that's crazy. Well, at least I know where they're coming from... I just hope that the numbers won't increase as well. Keep me posted as to how you're doing with them, and I will as well.

• Useful Useful x 1
    21. unik

unik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I hope I won't get any more floaters... I'm about 10 days away from going off benzos. My dose was minimal (.25mg). I hope I won't have any withdrawals. It sounds like you were able to deal with it and it's behind you (I'm jealous). :)

22. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Well I went to my GP and he changed my prescription to Remeron. I have taken it for three days now and T is staying at a manageable state.(y)

I do believe in one side effects of Remeron and that is increased appetite. I have eaten way to much the past few days. I must cut back.

23. J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Very much so, although I think I have already posted about it already.

I only consumed about 4mg, and it would seem that small of a dose would be like urinating in the ocean, but that amount of Remeron was enough to put me asleep and damage my ears at the same time. The drug *is* known to cause hearing loss, and that is what happened to me. There is one posted case where the drug caused total deafness in one patient.

24. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I developed 1-2 big floaters in each eye, which looks like dark snakes. There are several smaller around, but not too many. I have high myopia and I had some small dot-like floaters before, but not so severe. I can't say they don't bother me, I was very depressed about them when they developed in my eyes overnight.

Now, after three months they are still here and they look same but got to point I can accept them. Tinnitus is much bigger problem for me. I am still not close to the point I can accept it yet.

25. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I got my increases in them whilst I am on it for a few weeks, not even through the withdrawal. Although maybe the body withdraws slightly each day when the dose is coming due? I only ever took 0.5mg each night.

Yours shouldn't get worse now Map and, with time, the perception will ease, and I've read its actually possible for them to break down and disperse somewhat.

26. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      How are you doing with the taper Unik? I am having to do mine really slowly as the T noise has gone up by just cutting down by 1/4 of a pill :(

27. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Remeron is supposed to have a good safety profile regarding the ears. Where have you seen that it *is* known to cause hearing loss?

28. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Goofy - it absolutely increases the appetite! Particularly for sweet things ugh. You do have to watch it and control yourself!

Has the noise kept down with it like it did on Amitriptyline?

29. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes, I think they don't increase anymore. And I have some feeling they are becoming less visible or more brighter. It may be only perception of my brain over them, but they are becoming somewhat better with time for me anyway. At first I saw them everywhere and over everything bright. Now I am able to ignore them most of the time, even when looking at white monitor screen all the day at my job.

30. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm so pleased they are improving for you :) Its probably both - they've got fainter and your perception of them is reducing.