Antiviral Medication Causing Spike in Tinnitus? Inosine Pranobex (Against Herpes Virus)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Arseny, May 9, 2019.

1. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Hello,

According to initial blood tests my immune system is not doing so great and there are symptoms of potential herpes reactivation (Epstein-Barr). I was offered Inosine Pranobex. It's has vertigo as a side effect.

I took 6 mg of Melatonin (to ameliorate potential ototoxicity) and then 60 minutes after I took one pill of Inosine Pranobex (500 mg) last night.
      During the night I woke up with significant spike in visual snow. It went down within 15 minutes.
      Today tinnitus sounds louder and a bit different. There's a strange feeling in the left ear. It feels kind of raw, like after acoustic trauma. Afterimages (part of visual snow syndrome that is usually linked to tinnitus) are worse too.

However I can't say for sure if it's from a daily fluctuation, something immune affecting central nervous system or from the medication.

According to this antivirals can cause vertigo. I'm not experiencing that. @Natalie Roberts reported a spike after Acyclovir. I took Acyclovir before tinnitus and didn't experience any side effects.

What do you think I should do in this situation and what can I do to ameliorate potential ototoxicity?

upload_2019-5-9_13-49-44.png

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Try Lysine instead.

• Like Like x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      When I get cold sores I take acyclovir.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Thank you.

I feel a bit better physically and I'll switch it tomorrow.

This medication is definitely making my tinnitus worse even though there is no mention about ototoxicity.

5. UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      I am on Valtrex 250 mg twice a day. Does not affect my tinitus, which is truly unbelievable as I’m super sensitive to 99,9% of everything in life.

In the beginning it caused headache and slight vertigo which subsided after a week (at most):)