Any Concert Lovers?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by s-viv, May 17, 2015.

1. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Anyone see any good shows lately or are planning on seeing some soon??

I just saw Slipknot for the first time, it was a blast! Not so much my thing now, but still had a good time :)

• Like Like x 1
    2. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      One of my fav bands..those concerts are way too loud

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      It was super loud, but foam plugs are great and I wear muffs over them..personally though I think the foams plugs alone would have been fine.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I never have gone to a concert after t too scary for me.. But i did before and a slipknot concert is loud lol... There are certain bands that play music extra loud on purpose to leave u with ear pain as if it was cool or something like bullet for my valentine im not a fan but saw this story online.. They crank there speakers extra louder even two of their members developed t from that..idk how they keep playing after t.. Not sure if there is some medicine we dont know about in the music community because these people are exposed everyother day and alot have t but never get it to severe i would think they would from too much exposure while some of us would get it from something so smaller than that a spike i mean..

6. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      This is not true geo. Otherwise I wouldn't be here. Musicians just fight through sometimes because it's there passion and they have no other way to pay the bills.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      Keep in mind bass goes through skull so it wont save you from low frequency hearing loss from what I understand.

I have slipknot gig in next 3 weeks in Poland and have tickets already (before T intensified) not sure what the hell to do. I said to my GF I might go but I definitely will wear 25db earplugs at least - maybe foam as they are better for protection even if sound is lost and I probably will stand somewhere in the back of hall.
      Not sure yet :/

I friggin love concerts!
      Thats how I got T :)

8. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Really man thats how u got t and youd rather risking it again and worsening it..it is your life but kinda scary..

9. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      I know. I got T mostly from noise.
      For past 10 years I've listened to music on headphones and went to music gigs without protection and stood in front rows. I was at Iron Maiden when they performed at stadium and thats when my T increased moderately in level. Then went to another show half a year later and it spiked so audible level during nights.

Only lately I've understood I have to start protecting my ears, I'm surprised I don't have severe tinnitus.
      I think this is it for me as loud life can go. Until they develop some drugs or cure I'm trying not to risk it anymore.

Funny enough my only major spike to unbearable levels was from infection after I tried to clean my ear with q-tips and had ear syringed. That was month ago and fortunately it is settling down day by day.

I'm probably ultra dumb person to have this sort of luck...

• Like Like x 1
    10. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Well what ive noticed is that only some unlucky people will have severe t.. 85% wont. My gpa just told me hes had faint cricket noises in his head for 40 years after a concussion its never spiked on him so its barely visible for him now.. And hes been shooting guns for 50 years no protection inwas very surprised i guess some r just lucky and others get spikes for the dumbest reasons ( me)...

11. LiveIGuess
      Moonlighting

LiveIGuess Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I got T from a concert at the age of twelve, but I've been to several concerts after that. A couple without earplugs (one time because I forgot, and second time because it fell out), but now I've bought me some proper new ones that are supposed to be pretty good. I was at a concert with The Script earlier this year and used the earplugs. My T didn't worsen, as it usually does after a concert without earplugs or bad earplugs. I think one can still enjoy concerts with T, just be smart and use some proper protection for your ears.

• Like Like x 1
    12. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Haven't been to any concerts post-Tinnitus but that's more of a result of me being way too tired to stay up to go to any concerts these days. I practice with my band on a weekly basis and I have some music plugs that make the sound still sound very good while protecting from the higher frequency noises.

Probably the loudest concert I ever have attended was Crystal Castles at First Ave. Holy hell that concert was loud (but exhilarating.)

13. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I don't go to concerts anymore but my first concert was Madonna and I've seen AC/DC twice.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      My doctor told me foam are better. I wear the 33 db ones, and I still enjoy it, and I wear the muffs over it. I think it is so loud you really can't kill the sound. If you wear the muffs over them, you muffle the sound a lot, because I think it blocks the lows a lot more, but I don't find it annoying.

I asked dr. Nagler here about going to concerts and low frequency noise, and said you have nothing to worry about and I would agree. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-it-safe-to-attend-concerts-with-ear-protection.7626/.
      Low frequency doesn't bother me, personally.

Slipknot was the loudest concert I have been to, but to be honest with the amount of protection I had it didn't seem loud at all, even my dad said it wasn't loud at all with just the foams in...haha he said I was crazy for even worrying about it, yeah he was right. Neither of us had an ringing or excess for myself. Just stay away from the speakers, you can still enjoy the show.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      AC/DC would be fun to see live!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      I understand that! I am always too tired, only exception is for a favorite band, so one or two a year. I never tried the musician plugs, I don't mind the foamies (guess that saves me money at least)

• Like Like x 1
    17. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @s-viv they were great!!!! But super loud.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Yeah I noticed certain bands play extra loud. Bfmv doesn't surprise me, it is probably because their music isn't very good. I've seen 5 smaller, yet well known death metal bands last year and they sure didn't crank it, I don't even think I had inserted my plugs properly (but i wear muffs over them, so that was a good thing) and it wasn't very loud. Lol bands way better then Slipknot and bfmv from a music complexity stand point, probably don't need to kill anyone with sound. Certain people are more susceptible, my friend I go with just started to wear the plugs because I do and he has never had a problem. I've seen some of these guys in the band and a good majority don't even wear musician plugs.

19. LillianLexicon97
      Depressed

LillianLexicon97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise: Headphones
      Okay, so I've already decided on never going to concerts again but I would LOVE to see Florence + The Machine. Just once. :joyful::love::p

20. harleyquinn
      Batty

harleyquinn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/several ear infections/medication/noise exposure
      One concert lover here! I have attended many rock concerts (with earplugs of course) before my T worsened and I just recently bought tickets for Rise Against but I have become rather worried to attend that gig, even with plugs.. I use those yellow foamy ones but I'm planning on getting better ones. Maybe even those expensive custom molded ones. (If someone has experience of those, contact me!) Live music is awesome.