Any Drugs That Act as Cortisol Antagonists?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gl0w0ut, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Cortisol is a steroid released by the brain in response to stress, thus it is dubbed the "stress hormone". Obviously, stress stemming from cortisol release seeks to make tinnitus louder. Tinnitus stresses you which elevates cortisol levels. Continuous stress is bad in the long term and, from what I've been told, can lead to issues like heart problems as well a s shrinking of the hippocampus.

The brain is never your friend in the case of tinnitus so doing things to promote its health in neural restoration seems silly. Someone recommended exercise to increase neuroplasticity. A silly suggestion since the excitation of exercise only serves to make tinnitus louder as well as the fact that plasticity created tinnitus to begin with. My goal is to hurt the brain's ability to compensate for acoustical loss/trauma, not help it. My hope is one day we can be able to fire a gun right next to the near, kill hundreds of cilia, but deny the brain the ability to change the auditory cortex and thus stopping tinnitus.

So my question here is what drugs are there that an antagonize cortisol. My brain feels its critical to keep me alert and on my toes so I can quickly resolve problems it dislikes and be alert for danger. I want to suppress this stress so I am calm and inattentive. The brain remains distressed but is deprived of the ability to do anything.

2. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Maybe some of the drugs used for cushings syndrome could be used, like Ketoconazol

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Regular exercise and meditation (or, if you're lazy, yoga which combines both) are well documented to reduce cortisol levels. Are you already doing those things?
      https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/exercising-to-relax
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29019089
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28963884

Drugs which just straight up quiet the HP axis are fine in acute cases, but longterm use is counterproductive because the body's response is to attempt to restore homeostasis... which means dumping ever more stress hormones into your blood.

You seem to be very actively hostile towards your body and brain. This is literally amping up your cortisol levels. As long as you keep working against yourself and seeing your body and mind as the enemy, you're just going to spiral more.

You're just wrong about this, the neurological, physiological and psychological models do not agree with you and neither does the data.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23930543

By all means, avoid exercise and bombard your body with drugs; you're the only one who's going to suffer more as a result.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Let's see it try and restore balance. I will amp up the dose so it's tolerance building fails to offset it. I will continue to antagonize the brain in any way I can. Helping it will not make things better. It's already broken. All I can do now is make it suffer for what it's done to me. Mess with it's chemistry and defense mechanisms.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Also, that study talks more about tinnitus prevention and those with acute tinnitus. It's too late for me now. My brain already went plastic and exercise won't fix it. And wow, a 4% reduction. How impressive.

6. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Coincidentally, I just received a cortisol saliva test, which I purchased through the mail, to test my levels which I believe may not be sufficient.

The effects of low cortisol levels are outlined here, and they include Addison's Disease, which I do not believe is a desirable trade-off for supposedly lower T levels:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/24059-effects-low-cortisol-levels/

I think there's better ways to lower Tinnitus Distress than getting yourself sicker.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I already suffer from fatigue and gastro problems. I don't care about loss of reproductions (making me sterile) and I would actually benefit from lower blood pressure. So yes, I need low cortisol levels. A new, low tone has developed in my left ear and it driving me insane. No doubt I now have high cortisol levels.

8. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Get a Cortisol level test, and find out, like the one I ordered. It's only about 40 bucks. I only got it today. You take three saliva samples, send it in, they process it and analyze it and send you the results, supposedly written in a way that most people can understand.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How do I know it actually a lab test and not just some scam that says it is?

10. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They are partnered with Amazon d o t c o m.

11. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    12. Karrie

Karrie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2 9 /15
      Cause of Tinnitus: