Any High Frequency Hearing Test Near Me (Midwest, USA)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kazue, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yo yo GUTEN TAG MEINE FREUNDS..??? Not sure if I spelt that right, haven't studied German in years. Anyways, for my American friends, where did you get your high frequency test done at? I've been searching up and down for one and I can't find it. I want to see if I have any damage in the high frequencies so I know I have noise induced T. It would be helpful if it's in the Midwest.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't think having high frequency losses (>8 kHz) is an indication of noise exposure.

3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      O' it can be. It's just something that's not normally tested so there is no baseline per individual, and there haven't been any large studies as very high frequency hearing is deemed unnecessary. Unless of course it's replaced with very high frequency tinnitus.

I wouldn't call it an 'indication' of noise exposure, but noise exposure can be one of the causes.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well most of the time it is. Of course, some people have conditions where they lose their hearing within a small period of time. Having >8 kHz and above loss is due to noise exposure, most of the time, as we age. It's definitely enough to cause T.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Why do you think that is? The audiologists and neurotologist I've seen say noise exposure is visible as a notch around 4 kHz. High frequency loss is typically the result of presbycusis, not noise exposure.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes of course. Your case is different because you've suffered an acoustic trauma, so it's not hard to correlate that with the damage to your auditory system.

Kazue, on the other hand, is looking for a cause. And she postulates that if she finds high frequency hearing loss, then the source of her T is noise exposure. That's the reasoning I was questioning, because I feel the logic is flawed. It could be many things (I have HF losses, and obviously not from noise exposure).

It seems to me that "regular" noise exposure (by that I exclude acoustic trauma that the victim would clearly know about) is neither a sufficient nor necessary condition to high frequency losses.

That's my take anyways. Take it with a grain of salt, since I'm not a doctor.