Any Preppers Here? No Electricity for Weeks... How Are You Prepping to Mask Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by OnceUponaTime, Sep 21, 2016.

1. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      A lot of people with different illnesses that need electricity for survival are prepping for such an event and it got me thinking.

We are constantly masking tinnitus with sound machines, radios, TVs, refrigerator motors, fish tanks, air purifier, fans, etc... but in an event that there is no electricity for a long period of time, how are you preparing to mask tinnitus?

I have a gas generator, connected to my house electrical system but I am interested in more information about solar panels (not the ones that electric companies sell or rent you) as I'm more interested in buying my own... simplicity is important to me, nothing too complicated.

If any one has any information I'd appreciate you sharing it. Any other tinnitus prepping ideas are more than welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    2. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I know Harbor Freight sells solar panels but I have had some products bought there work nice and others not hold up. I got hearing aid batteries that I use with my hearing aids that mask part of my tinnitus... the other part is not maskable.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you, this is a great preppers idea! :) One can store up some batteries... wondering if those tiny batteries are rechargeable? Hmm... I do not happen to like anything inside my ear canal but this sounds like a good plan b in case of extreme emergency where there is no electricity for a long period of time.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Where is this long power outage likely to happen?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      For hurricane Sandy, in my town, people were out of electricity and gas for 2 weeks... I'd like to prepare in advance for situations like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I prep for this by sleeping in silent rooms and meditating with earplugs. eeeeeeeeee

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I've always been fascinated by people who prep for the worst case situations which are very unlikely ever to happen.

But you can buy a battery powered sound device and lots of batteries.

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not a prepper, but if the zombie apocalypse happens I plan on going out in a blaze of glory.

9. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you call hurricane Katrina destroying half of New Orleans. Hurricane sandy destroying large parts of the east coast. Hurricane Harvey putting large swaths of houston under water and destroying a large part of the Caribbean isolated incidents, then ermmm.. okay. Yeah, let’s not be prepared for something like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Wow, this thread from 2016.

Look what happened in Texas last month and other states. Total block outs every where. People actually died. I have some friends in Texas that have tinnitus and where very stressed and it was no fun for them to not have electricity, and no way to mask their tinnitus. The stress alone from the whole desperate situation gave them spikes and high anxiety. I guess it is better to prepare for these types of events, than not.

Five years later, I am well prepared for that kind of situation.
      Happy to talk with anyone with same thoughts and would love to hear about your prepping ideas.

Anyone here a prepper?

11. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To OnceUponATime:

Purchase a good battery powered portable radio and find an unoccupied band that produces a medium/high pitched white noise.

I do this with the car radio when driving when I have a spike.

• Like Like x 1
    12. tracyNYC
      Frustrated

tracyNYC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2009-2020 habituated; 1/2021 - severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise; hearing loss
      My tinnitus recently worsened to a severe level, so I'm back on the long road to habituation. Right now, ten minutes in complete silence would drive me stir crazy. Recalling the last blackout in NYC a year or so ago, and how deathly silent my apartment was all those hours, I have thought about what I would do during a power outage, outside of camping on my fire escape. Perhaps an indoor compact generator, and a rechargeable power bank for my iPhone. I may not get through a 2-day outage, but I don't expect that in NYC. Thankfully my hearing aids are battery powered -- I don't like rechargeable - so that's one worry off my mind!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have a few in my stockpile of preparedness equipment... lol.
      Unfortunately, white noise does not help with the drone/hum I have.
      I did purchase and install a whole house generator and got solar panels with solar battery storage.
      They have really nice ones that are fume-free, silent and safe to use indoors. Like this one:

NEW & Improved Solar Wonder - 4Patriots
      I had friends in Brooklyn in the areas of Breeze Point, Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach that were left without electricity for 2 weeks or more!
      This is good. I believe those batteries last a long time?

14. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Tell me about the whole house generator. We had a snowstorm that immobilized Texas and many were without power for over a week. I heard about the whole house generator that can be installed outside like an air conditioning unit.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes, this is correct. It sits outside of your house and when the electricity goes out it automatically kicks in.

There are different ones so you'll have to do your own research on what you want and what's your budget.

Cummins 20kW Generator for -40°F with 200A ATS | Norwall - Norwall PowerSystems

The solar panels are also a great investment. You get as many as you need and get some nice heavy duty marine batteries to store your power and a good inverter.

Did you lose power during the Texas snowstorm?

It surprises me how many people take preparing for any emergency, lightly.

Stay well. :)

• Like Like x 1
    16. twa
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Thank you for the info. We did not lose power, but many around us did. Our next door neighbor went without water for a week. That's rough with 4 children. We had a stored non-potable water that we shared with them for bathrooms, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    17. tracyNYC
      Frustrated

tracyNYC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2009-2020 habituated; 1/2021 - severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise; hearing loss
      I’d say about a week. My hearing aids are in 14-16 hours a day.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Glad you didn't lose power. So nice of you to share water with your neighbor.
      With 4 kids that must have been rough, especially if unprepared.
      You were a blessing. :) I am sure she won't forget your generosity.

Are you on city water or a well?

19. twa
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Thank you. We are on city water. Most of the problems were caused by the power grid not being able to handle the demand. Many businesses which were closed had electricity with lights on at full capacity while many people went without heat. Many neighbors had frozen pipes which burst and then they lost access to water.