Any Preppers Here? No Electricity for Weeks... How Are You Prepping to Mask Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by OnceUponaTime, Sep 21, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

OnceUponaTime Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies or Acoustic Trauma, Stress
      A lot of people with different illnesses that need electricity for survival are prepping for such an event and it got me thinking.

We are constantly masking t. with sound machines, radios, tvs, refrigerator motors, fish tanks, air purifier, fans, etc... but in an event that there is no electricity for a long period of time, how are you preparing to mask t.????

I have a gas generator, connected to my house electrical system but I am interested in more information about solar panels. (not the ones that electric companies sell or rent you) I'm more interested in buying my own...simplicity is important to me, nothing to complicated.

If any one has any information I'd appreciate you sharing it. Any other t. prepping ideas are more than welcome.

2. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I know Harbor Freight sells solar panels but I have had some products bought there work nice and others not hold up. I got hearing aid batteries that I use with my hearing aids that mask part of my T..the other part is not maskable.

3. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, this is a great preppers idea! :) One can store up some batteries....wondering if those tiny batteries are rechargeable? Hmm...I do not happen to like anything inside my ear canal but this sounds like a good plan b in case of extreme emergency where there is no electricity for a long period of time.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Where is this long power outage likely to happen?

5. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You can get a lot of hearing aid batteries cheap at Costco or Amazon

6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hearing aids themselves will cost you a bit. But the batteries won't cost much.

Here is a less expensive option and one I use when car camping in places with no electricity:
      I do my masking through a sound app that is on my phone. So I have a car changer. When my phone battery gets low, I just run the car and charge the phone. You can get a rapid charger, which is helpful.

• Like Like x 1
    7. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you LadyDi, can you tell me what app you use? I do have a rapid charger....

For hurricane Sandy, in my town, people were out of electricity and gas for 2 weeks.... I'd like to prepare in advance for situations like this.

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @OnceUponaTime: I use the TMSoft app. Has many nature sounds, white (and purple and blue and brown!) noise, lots of stuff. You also can build your own mixes. This is the link to the iPhone app but they make a version for Androids, too.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/white-noise-free-sleep-sounds/id292987597?mt=8

Having said that: there are other apps on the market. This is just the one I use (and love).

PS: I live in hurricane alley down here, so we have lots of stuff to help us live long periods without power. In 2004, we were without power AND water for two weeks! The water part was worse. We had to leave home for awhile.

9. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great. Thank you LadyDi, I am going to check it out. Hope you are doing well these days.

10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      You too @OnceUponaTime. Let's hope for a quiet storm season. About another month and we are through the worst of it. Empathized with you guys during Sandy.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I prep for this by sleeping in silent rooms and meditating with earplugs. eeeeeeeeee

• Like Like x 2
    12. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I've always been fascinated by people who prep for the worst case situations which are very unlikely ever to happen.

But you can buy a battery powered sound device and lots of batteries.

13. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not a prepper, but if the zombie apocalypse happens I plan on going out in a blaze of glory.