Any Truck Drivers Here? How Are You Managing with Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Username2153, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Username2153

Username2153 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      How are you managing your tinnitus with driving a truck and does it have any effect on your tinnitus? Are you driving a newer stock truck or aftermarket exhaust older model?

I have my CDL and I used to drive a truck locally which didn’t seem to affect my tinnitus too much. That’s when my ears were probably in better health overall but still damaged. I am thinking about hopping back in the driver seat to get myself back on my feet financially but I am a little hesitant because I don’t want to make my tinnitus permanently worse. I would be driving a newer model truck, for 8-10 hours a day, up to 12 hours if you include sitting in docks and wait time.

Should I wear earplugs? I know other guys do it but I hear that's still not 100% foolproof as the frequency of noise exposure is consequently worse with lower frequencies and harder to block (like big heavy duty equipment).

Maybe I am just a little paranoid but I want to get your opinions!

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I would use earmuffs and noise-canceling headphones, better than earplugs for low frequencies.

3. Kevin Hallowell

Kevin Hallowell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I drive a newer 2018 Freightliner. I have had no spikes from driving. On the days when I'm driving on the highway for longer periods of time, the decibels in the truck are around 80-85. On those longer drives I use noise reducing earplugs and haven't had an issue.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Username2153

Username2153 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I appreciate the response, 80-85 dB sounds about right depending on load and elevation changes.

What form of tinnitus do you have? A common ringing?

5. Kevin Hallowell

Kevin Hallowell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      My tinnitus is a hissing/buzzing sound. It was always louder in my left ear from an acoustical trauma and about a month ago my right ear joined the party and got louder. Probably due to stress so things are off for me at the moment. But I'm still driving.

Just wear noise reduction earplugs on those long drives and you'll be fine. I only try and wear mine when on the highway for long periods of time. I do regional driving around Pa, NJ and De.