Anybody Had Tinnitus/Hyperacusis in One Ear and Then Suddenly Contracted SSHL in the Other?

Discussion in 'Support' started by creasy212, Oct 14, 2018.

1. creasy212

creasy212 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I am 26 years old and had tinnitus since I was 15. 6 months ago the tinnitus become significantly worse (I developed hyperacusis) and has only just become manageable. Out of the blue 24 hours ago, my 'good' ear (which has never had any issues) suddenly became very muffled and a ringing began, the out of hours ENT has initially diagnosed this as Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss [SSHL] (no vertigo, just heavily muffled and a different mono tone tinnitus). I have been prescribed a 5 day course of very strong steroids + I am taking Ibuprofen, decongestants etc as well.

Has anyone experienced this? Any advice/help would be appreciated. I've become really worried as I have only just come to terms with having one shit ear, but not two. I will be finding out more in the next few working days when I meet the ENT again + see the steroid's impact but I'm just wondering if anybody has any input on such things?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      My hyperacusis usually behaves in the following way after noise exposure: a single loud noise gives me 10 days to 2 weeks of pain, pressure and muffled hearing. Typically this resolves when I perceive no sound for a split second in one ear and a very loud beep.. after that I feel my hearing more balanced, but I am worried about that split second in which I hear absolutely nothing.

In the last year I have lost more hearing as a result of hyperacusis, accidental exposure to noise etc TV is no longer easy to understand, and I have some trouble understanding conversation when there is background noise.

The steroids are the standard treatment for SSHL. The lenght of the treatment depends a lot on what doctor is treating you, but 5 days seems to be a very short period. Some doctors would prescribe 4 to 6 weeks of steroids at a high dose. Be aware that steroids only work for a limited time after hearing loss occurs (there is a short opportunity window to try to fix whatever damage there may be).

How are you feeling after the steroid course? is your hearing getting better or more stable? Have you recovered some hearing?