Anyone Alse Noticed That Wearing a Cap Over the Ears Is Tinnitus Relieving as Heck?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dja, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fridge, computer fans and lots of annoying sounds and stress
      I feel like I have been able to handle my tinnitus quite well in my everyday (working) life. Sometimes the reliefs come unconsciously and there was a time where I wore caps during outside work and I forgot how at those times I would feel pretty good overall.

So I forgot about this until recently where my ears have becoming muffled a lot lately from being careless with my gaming sessions at lower volumes. I know this is irresponsible but I cannot stop doing which I enjoy for too long. I tried this and careless as it may be, at least I enjoy my time. Not doing anything and avoiding any noise is depressing af to me and this has worked for a long time until recently.

I noticed my ears getting more muffled than usual. I guess my ears have been damaged to a degree where the sound tolerance has gone down again and I started thinking about the cap I used to wear during the loudest time in my life, and guess what... all the issues I have are gradually recovering again.

The thing with a cap over the ear I think is that it sorta stops the full frequency to go straight into the ear and causes it to go around it without it being unhealthy like earplugs total silence which make the ears very sensitive.

Anyone else felt like this works well and does anyone have an explanation for this?

• Like Like x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      no, sorry

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fridge, computer fans and lots of annoying sounds and stress
      It really always does for me. I don't get why but it is telling me that my tinnitus is very much acoustic trauma related. When I wear a cap over my ear, in which sound doesn't go directly into the ear, it feels like the ear is able to go through the healing process. Seems maybe preventing sound going directly into the ear may be the solution in my case.

The muffled hearing goes away and my ear opens up and I hear more clearly. My conclusion to this is that the sound not going directly into the ear makes the muscle that causes the muffled hearing not go into an alert mode in which it tenses itself. I hope this works in the long term because so far I feel good about this.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I'd wear a chicken costume to the grocery store if it made it go away.

But hey, whatever works, do it. Do protect your hearing though.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Tinnitus is a mysterious beast. A good example is the curcumin thing. Some of us get a pretty nice reduction from it, others a spike, and still others, nothing good or bad.

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Can't say a cap makes any difference in the tinnitus. It really would not afford any significant degree of hearing protection.

7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Whatever the reason, it works for you and I'm happy that it does.

8. EddieL.

EddieL. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wear a fleece cap very often, and, while it makes my tinnitus sound louder, I find it that it takes the bite out of external sounds. In my mind, the fabric has to be absorbing something.

9. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Do you game wearing headphones?