Anyone Else Having to Work Less Due to Health Issues?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by gav01, May 31, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gav01

gav01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I mean a civil war.

2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It really is a catch 22. Without the hearing injury I wouldn't have had the impetus to leave my comfortable low stress job, but even with this job it's making things difficult. I actually just got a good raise, I think my manager sensed I was unhappy and I really do have a great manager. He's the reason I've stuck with it.

What kind of work were you in before?

3. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I’ve worked with industrial machinery my whole life and then spent the last fifteen years teaching in schools. I miss teaching kids and making sculptures from wood and bronze and steel.
      Hyperacusis, more than tinnitus, has dramatically altered my career, how I make a living, and my the mediums I express myself in creatively. Alue, I completely empathize with your trials and tribulations. This illness is so difficult and generally a drag.
      Hang in there my friend and wishing you peace always.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Anyone transition to a quieter job? Office? Canada doesn't care about tinnitus sufferers. Like most I guess. There is no government support.

How is suicide not the only option if you are broke and tinnitus makes it impossible to work? There's no accommodation for suffering tinnitus by the government. I suspect that this is case in other countries too. I refer to those who have severe cases.

I CAN BARELY TYPE ON THIS PHONE BECAUSE OF THIS!!!!!!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      I will be going down to Boston on Tuesday to get interviewed finally on TV about the effect that OCD has had on me. It is to promote some clinical trial for a drug they are testing.

6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I am from Boston too.
      Let us know how that goes.

7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I read this but it wasn't too helpful:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-jobs-can-you-do-with-tinnitus.10287/page-2

If it's really severe, what can you do?

I am not working and practically broke. I have a hard time concentrating because the tinnitus noise is so loud. Actually, I think there are multiple tones.

Someone said to study at home but like I said....trouble concentrating. People generally don't understand the problem with tinnitus let alone if it's severe.

You can't get disability by indicating tinnitus. The payment from the government (for not working: social assistance aka welfare) is paltry and way below standard of living. So, why are people trying to talk me out of suicide? If therapy and jobs were something that would help, I would do it. Why suggest $3k hearing aids etc.? I will struggle to buy $400 custom/musicians ear plugs and even then, that will make me hear the tinnitus noise more as it blocks off exterior sounds?

Do you understand?

I don't think someone with severe tinnitus can live in this society. I learned that other countries are similar. Why doesn't that shock people? It's terrible. This is an 'invisible condition' that has no support. All people do is say "you gotta live with it" and "get therapy."

It's insane. It's not a psychological problem BUT, I HAVE TO TURN IT INTO ONE TO OBTAIN EVEN BASIC SUPPORT!!!

People with diagnosed mental illness have a slim chance of getting disability. You need psychiatrists and several (possibly ototoxic?) medications but there's a chance compared to declaring you have tinnitus.

This world is beyond crazy. THERE IS NO HELP FOR SEVERE TINNITUS BUT PEOPLE KEEP TELLING ME TO GET HELP!

Don't you see how absurd and illogical that is?!?