Anyone Else's Tinnitus Staying the Same?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lulubug69, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I'm wondering if anyone's T has remained the same? I realize some of us have had some fluctuations in volume, but I was wondering if it's possible that I can have the exact same sound for however long? Or will it inevitably change? Or change to the other ear? Why does this happen?
      I'm worried about this.
      I woke up the other night hearing another sound (my heart started racing). I realized after a few minutes that it was my cpap mask it was leaking. It wasn't the T. Yay! But now I'm wondering if I should prepare myself?
      We should have a T question section in the forum.

2. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @Lulubug69:

I think lots of us have the same worry. If it makes you feel any better, I brought this up with my doctor and he said that in most cases, tinnitus does not worsen. As for myself, there have been fluctuations in patterns, but only minor ones. For the past three or so years, my tinnitus has remained the same.

Here is my advice, for what it's worth: if you are going to think about the possibilities that the future might hold, factor in the amazing advances in science and medicine that will help us cope and reduce our suffering. That is, counterbalance your fear concerning tinnitus worsening with the equally uncertain but brilliant possibility that you will enjoy silence in future!

-Golly

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      See question #8 here: PBS Twitter Chat on Tinnitus — Questions & Answers | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

From the Tinnitus Survey:
      Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 1.38.22.png

But that's a small sample and the majority of those whose tinnitus has improved for the better probably hasn't answered the survey (many people just go on with their lives once tinnitus is manageable, and mostly those who are in the distress stage tend to find the forums etc., which affects the survey answers).

Mine has stayed pretty much the same, for what it's worth.

• Like Like x 2
    4. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      All I say is wear earplugs around loud noise, 6 weeks ago I thought I would have mild tinnitus forever, then 5 and half weeks ago I slammed shut a car bonnet, 6 hours later I got stuffy blocked ears which was temporary threshold shift, the TTS lasted a week but my tinnitus has now gone from mild to moderate, I can now hear it over the tv, sleep is now a lot harder, I can't believe this is permanent, I want my mild tinnitus back!

Don't make the same mistake as me, wear earplugs around loud noise!

My tinnitus noise has changed as well it has gone from a hiss to a gas oven noise with an electrical voltage noise on top.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Thank you all for your input. I think I'm going to focus on the good in my life, not worry about what I have no control over right now and protect my ears to the best of my ability. I will also continue to pray for and follow, the advancement of science and medicine to help all of my fellow T sufferers.

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Do that! Nobody can predict every loud situation (sometimes it's totally out of our control and nobody could have expected loud noise coming up!), and as long as you cover the usual suspects when it comes to loud environments, you should hopefully be fine.

Have a great weekend!

Markku

7. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Lulubug , it will change, so don't worry.

8. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Mick, when mine spikes I now put few drops of olive oil in the ears then I place a hot water bottle on the ear, by morning and all of next day the t goes down quite a bit, so far I've done this 3 times and every time it has helped a lot, try this if you want, but make sure it's organic and cold pressed olive oil.

9. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Hiya @Lulubug69 :D

My T never stayed the same, It always changes! Like this morning when i woke up The usual static noise was gone, The whistling was so low. But in the absence of the Static a Hissing sound that pauses for a few seconds then hisses again took its place. And throughout the day the whistling got louder, hahaha its 6:00pm right now as I'n righting this. And I'm starting to hear this High pitch noise around our Appliances in the house which is weird. So anyways even if your T changes I'm sure you'll be able to handle is like your handling your T now. Though honestly I'd prefer it if it stayed in one sound, but i guess what can i do right? Exactly! Hahaha And i do always think that we should always be prepared for everything :)

xoxo
      Anne

10. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      It's amazing all these advancement In science and no cure for Tinnitus !.
      We have cure thousands of diseases ..went on the moon years back and no cures for tinnitus even though millions are suffering .

• Like Like x 1
    11. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I believe that it can stay the same.
      Both my father in law and husband have had t for years and theirs has never changed in volume or tone.
      This gives me hope that mine can stay at the same level, and its MY reaction to it that change it.

(side note - I realise this is not the same for everyone)

• Useful Useful x 1
    12. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Amelia - did they have noise induced Tinnitus ?and did they suffer like we are suffering now ?or it it was always mild Tinnitus .

13. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I've had noise-induced tinnitus for over 25 years, and mine stayed the same --- until I took an ototoxic drug in 2010. And mine has gradually gotten better, not worse, since then.

Bottom line: I think most people's tinnitus stays the same, or gets better, with time. There are exceptions, but for most people (see Markku's survey above), I think that's the norm.

14. AnnieM
      Stressed

AnnieM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PROBABLY long term exposure to the sound of motors/blowers
      Mine changes ALL the time. Both in the type of sound I hear (I can pick out six different sounds) and in volume/intensity/pitch. It's usually worse for me when I first go to work on Monday morning, stays bad through Tuesday, begins to moderate on Wednesday, and quiets down significantly by the weekend - then spikes again. Even the general tones have changed over time, some noises better, some worse.

15. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Yes - noise induced from hunting/shooting. My husband says he only hears his when I talk about mine. And both claim it does not bother them.
      I only found out about my husband's T when mine began!

Mine is unfortunately louder than theirs but I don't think there is any reason not to think I can habituate to their level. Mine is infection induced and changes in volume but I try to be hopeful.

The only other person I know with T is my father. His started after using aspirin and has gradually worsened with industrial hearing loss to the point now his is almost un-maskable. He does not cope so well :(

16. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

mine stays the same so far and it's manageable , I am planning another doctors visit to ask some more questions about it etc. I am all new to this T thing and when I first experienced it I panicked :eek:. Now I am little bit used to it, but I want to prevent any further aggravation of it if possible. In about a week I will be going to a christmas symphony concert, I'm sure it will be a little bit loud. What do u think would be the best ear protection? I saw ear plugs with different dB values, not sure how many dBs to choose lol :)?

17. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The difference is mostly in the marketing. I like the Howard Leight MAX-1 (check them on Amazon). They say 33db but likely just 23db.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Amelia I am just curious ..is your father taking any Ototoxic drugs or getting exposed to loud noise ?its too bad his t can't be masked with white noise .

19. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I should qualify my response above (post #2). I stand by everything I said there. However, I was referring to a sort of long-term average, over which my tinnitus does not change much. On a more granular level, as in day-to-day, my tinnitus changes immensely: it is either on or off. Half the days of a given week I have absolutely no tinnitus. The other half I cope as best I can with the hissing from morning till night. But whether one has intermittent or continuous tinnitus, I maintain that one should not worry about the future, and instead focus on the uplifting possibilities.

-Golly

20. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Yes, noise exposure where he works. Unfortunately the T is unbearable when he uses earplugs and because of his hearing loss he can't hear with them in, but the noise in his workplace is causing further damage. Catch 22 for him :(
      I keep telling him to retire!

21. Ty shattuck

Ty shattuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      I used to have occasional spikes.. After they would subside I wouldnt even think of it but this feels like a constant spike. Absolute hell at first but now it just infuriates me. Somehoe worse in the left ear, thank god for masking sounds..