Anyone Experience Differences in Generic Drugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jun 2, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I've got a medication that helps with depression and sometimes it seems to lower my T while at other times it does not.

It's very hard to figure out what happens inside the brain. I have yet to figure it out.

Nevertheless, I have taken 2 generic brands for the same drug. They both work but I seem to have more success in the first brand I tried. It could be just a coincidence.

Today though, I decided to do an experiment. I took a quarter of each generic pill and put it into a small cup of water. Immediately they started to "dissolve".

However, in the first generic brand, the tablet dissolved to mostly powder and made the water cloudy.

In the second, the water was much more clear and the tablet mostly dissolved into very small granules.

Would this make any difference on how the body absorbs the drug?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think it would. Having said this, you should have used stomach acid instead of water. It is possible that in that case you would see similar results.

My family had experienced multiple instances of generic drugs not working as well as the real thing...

3. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Unless your generics are coming from somewhere like India, then you have nothing to worry about.

The difference you noticed between the two drugs dissolving is due to the varying inactive binders used in the pill. The amount of active ingredient will be the same.

• Informative Informative x 1