Anyone on Erenumab (Aimovig) for Migraine? Have You Noticed Any Effect on Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Krolo, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      So after some looking on the Internet I found this new treatment for migraine which targets Calcitonin gene-related peptide receptors, which by some means seems to be in the cochlea among other areas:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4115147/

Calcitonin-gene related peptide (CGRP), a 37 amino acid neuroactive peptide, is expressed in the auditory and vestibular systems (Wackym et al., 1993; Maison et al., 2003a; Ahn et al., 2009; Xiaocheng et al., 2013). In the central auditory system, CGRP-positive neurons can be found in the lateral superior olivary nucleus.
      ---
      In the periphery of both systems, CGRP colocalizes with ChAT, the enzyme that catalyzes the synthesis of acetylcholine (ACh). This colocalization is observed in the varicosities of efferent fibers, suggesting that CGRP and ACh function together to modulate peripheral auditory and vestibular sensory function.
      ---
      GRP loss did not affect cochlear auditory thresholds or distortion-product otoacoustic emissions, yet mice showed a striking ∼20% reduction in suprathreshold cochlear nerve sound-evoked activity. It is not yet known whether or how the loss of CGRP influences vestibular system function.

Botox seems to have the same effect on CGRP as Erenumab:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-germ-flesh-eating-disease-hijacks-neurons.html

Since this is a new drug I wonder if anyone here has tried it for migraines and have had their tinnitus change?

• Informative Informative x 3
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Krolo -- Thanks for posting this. I too would be interested...

3. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Where can I buy it?

4. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    5. Codaz

Codaz Member

Botox is very poorly understood. All doctors that I have visited for my chronic pain from anesthesiologists to gnathologists to jaw surgeons, they all knew about it but never have done it. Also the effects of botox are vastly downplayed. It is toxic. They all say well it dissapears within 3 months. But nobody knows where it flows if they inject it.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Miss Black

Miss Black Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just received my first Aimovig shot a week ago. My tinnitus spiked the day I received it and it has not returned to normal. CGRP is a potent vasodilator and there are receptors in the cochlea. Inhibiting CGRP results in vasoconstriction, and I believe this is what caused by tinnitus to spike.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Pre55ure

Pre55ure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear migraines
      Thank you for this info.
      Please update this with your progress and let us know if it goes back to baseline.
      I hope you are doing better.

8. SonnyB

SonnyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetic
      I joined this forum just to relay my experience on Emgality (another CGRP medication, prescribed for chronic migraine). After 4-5 days, it spiked my tinnitus terribly, gave me really bad joint pain, and have moderate ear pressure also. Given it's long half life (28 days), I'm quite upset that I'm likely in this for the long haul. @Miss Black, would love to know if your tinnitus reverted to baseline after stopping the medication.

9. debbyw

debbyw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just found this forum and decided it might be worthwhile to comment. I’ve had mild tinnitus for a number of years, I’ve also suffered from migraines for decades. I am unable to take any Triptan meds as these increase the headache pain.

I have been taking Aimovig injections for 4 months now. I went from 2-4 migraines a week to have had maybe 4 since beginning the injections. First month zero headaches. Since my most recent injection I’ve had constant, sometimes two-tone tinnitus. It’s so frustrating. If I’m really busy I don’t really notice it... but of course with COVID-19 stay at home etc I’ve been pretty bothered by it. Tinnitus is not listed as a side effect... but I wonder since that is the only big change.

10. Roxxe68

Roxxe68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I recently started Nurtec for migraines (oral CGRP). I started noticing tinnitus after taking. It would last 2-3 days then go away. Well after my last dose I have had constant tinnitus for 12 days now. I never had tinnitus before Nurtec.

Has anyone else experienced this with CGRPs and had it ever go away?

11. Violant

Violant Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm been with Aimovig since last April. I think my tinnitus has gotten worse. I'm not suere if it is due Aimovig.

12. Julie P

Julie P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Emgality injection
      I used Aimovig for 4 months and my headaches got tremendously worse the fourth month so I switched to Emgality. The first month it was absolutely wonderful. I only had 2 migraines instead of my usual 14/month.

The second month of Emgality my ears started ringing after just a few days. It is constant plus I’ve already had 5 migraines in the first 10 days.

Please tell me the tinnitus will stop after this injection wears off. I hate the migraines but the ringing is driving me insane.