Anyone Tried Mucomyst (Inhaled Acetylcysteine Also Known as NAC) for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 6, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      So, I was doing a little research on NAC (N-acetylcysteine) which is one of the "treatments" people sometimes use for tinnitus.

I came across an article where it talks about NAC taken orally cannot thin the mucus but inhaled NAC can.

I did some brief research and what I found out was that acetylcysteine is the same thing as N-acetylcysteine.

I am wondering if some people have tried the inhaler and if it would be more potent. One of the brands I saw was "Mucomyst".

One other thing, according to what I read, it is inhaled through a "nebulizer".

I had to look that up but it's a machine that takes liquid and turns it into a vapor to be inhaled through the mouth and (sometimes the nose too).

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.

I am wondering that too.

I never used it after my T onset, but I tried it a few times after weight lifting workouts on the advice of my training coach last year, and it really helped me to recover from the sessions way faster.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Wow, that is very interesting. Is it possible you could take it again?

4. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, actually I've been thinking of trying it in the meantime I am waiting for the NAC capsules (that I'm planning to order) to arrive. I'll keep this thread updated if I end up taking it.

5. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh.. The mucomyst I tried was orally taken, the water soluble ones....I don't read posts carefully today, I don't know why. I am sorry :(

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Aww, that's okay :) Thanks for letting me know they make water soluble ones...I see that now. I thought it was just liquid that turned into vapor using a nebulizer, but do you know if you put the water soluable tablets in purified water and put it in a nebulizer, would it be the same? I don't know

7. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure about that but to me, it feels like they won't be the same. Pure liquid acetylcysteine and the effervescent solution should differ a lot since the tablet ones probably have preservatives & other components too.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Oh wow, I did not know they were effervescent. Great point!

9. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      Hi, I have tried this nasal spray and unfortunately it did nothing for my T. I use it among other sprays for congestion mainly. However, NAC in 600mg capsules did nothing either so it may be different for you.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks for responding. Did you use a vial of it and a nebulizer? If not and it is a regular nasal spray do you have a link to the product? The reason I ask is that all the nebulizers I saw had an attachment for vapor to go through the mouth.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      To people who are really knowledgeable about this stuff, is it possible to make your own by mixing liquid NAC and saline solution and putting it in the nebulizer?

12. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      Mine had a vaporizor (or whatever the spray thing is called) which came in the box and you simply screwed in on top. I would suggest against trying to make your own as it would be very easy to get the dosis wrong, also your NAC supplement may contain other supplements as well bundled in it, so it is best to use an off the shelf product with guidance by your doctor.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Can you give me a link to the product you took? The product I am looking at says prescription only. It says it comes in a vial. I have no idea why this has to be a prescription...maybe someone can enlighten me. :(

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/acetylcysteine-inhalation.html

Here is a link to what a nebulizer is..I had to look it up because I had no idea:

How to Use a Nebulizer