Anyone's Tinnitus Caused by Allergies? If So, What Medication Have You Tried to Get Relief?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ranuro47, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Ranuro47

Ranuro47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone. Can anyone answer my questions? I’ve only had tinnitus for two months, it’s mild, noticeable and it never stops. I take Clonazepam to help with anxiety.

I don’t know how my tinnitus was triggered, it may be due to allergies.

Does anyone have tinnitus because of allergies and if so, what medication has been helpful?

I’m going to a concert soon so I bought some good ear plugs, I’m so nervous.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Have you gone down the diagnosis path?

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Earplugs don't always ensure that your tinnitus doesn't get louder:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/learn-from-others-mistakes.29437/

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ranuro47

Ranuro47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Greg. No I have not. My ent dr Just suggest I keep taking my anxiety medication. I had a hearing test I have excellent hearing. This tinnitus started 2 months ago right after I had a throat infection and right after I stopped taking the zpack antibiotics. It has never stopped. I also have allergies but a lot of the meds can make tinnitus worse so I don’t take anything for allergies now because I’m scared to.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      May I ask if you have a history of loud noise exposure, such as going to concerts in the past without hearing protection?

What about noise induced pain, clogged ears, and the perception of noises sounding overly loud?

6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      zpack has some possible ototoxicity. You can find details if you google. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10778901

I don't mean to scare you: it's unlikely this happened to you, but you should be aware of the possibility and talk to your doctors about it.

There's a chance it'll go away in time too.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ranuro47

Ranuro47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there. Thanks for responding. I’ve been to i my a few concerts in my life. The last one was 3 or 4 years ago so the tinnitus can’t be from that considering it just started a few months ago. No clogged ears or sounds sounding overly loud. I quit smoking 7 months ago now I have ear and throat issues . I’ve never had this before.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ranuro47

Ranuro47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes I’ve read about the z pack being ototoxic. I take it every year for my upper respiratory infection and it’s never caused tinnitus. This year I took the zpack twice within 4 months and now im thinking that was too much. Thanks for sharing.

9. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I take Montelukast (Singular) and I was on it even before tinnitus, and it works great. I also use Tylenol for severe sinus issues but I have used it for my allergies. Both products work well for me. I still take them, but the Tylenol I use when needed. I hope you have relief soon.

10. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Is there another antibiotic that may work for your URI but isn't as ototoxic?
      I think ototoxicity becomes an issue at fairly high doses regularly - so this could be a red herring - but if you have a safer alternative, perhaps it's worth considering.

Good luck!

11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Ranuro47 -- Are you open to learning about a very safe (non-ototoxic), and likely affective alternative? Below is a link to a 6-Minute Youtube video describing a hydrogen peroxide mist inhalation method for various pathogens viruses, etc. I would be surprised if it wasn't helpful for most upper respiratory infections.

Most of the recommendations I've seen on this method are to use regular store bought 3% H2O2, but some people (like me) don't like that it has various kinds of unnatural preservatives or stabilizers in it. Also, a few have said that 3% is too strong. So I decided to do a 1% version instead of the 3%, and test the waters with that.

I myself buy 35% food grade H2O2, and use it for a variety of things. To use that to make a 1% H2O2 solution, I just take an ounce of it, and add it to 1 quart of purified water (then put some in a mist bottle). Since the 1% solution has been so benign so far, I'm getting ready to try a 1.5% solution. To make that, I'll just add an extra half ounce to a quart of water. I may experiment with stronger solutions if I feel the need. -- Just below is the link to that 6-min. video.

Learn The Right Way To Do Hydrogen Peroxide Inhalation Method For Viruses, COPD, Congestion

12. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Is there any scientific/clinical study that shows efficacy and safety of this alternative? I couldn't find any.

13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I doubt it. I also highly doubt there will ever be any, as there's just no payoff for a company or business to do this kind of research. It's a sad thing that research into low-cost, low-risk therapies are never researched, though it's understandable. I myself think such research into any number of modalities (such as all different kinds of oxygenation therapies that are routinely used in Europe) could lead to dramatically reduced national health care costs, as well as removing much of the risks associated with conventional medical care.

I myself have tried a number of these low-cost, low-risk alternative therapies, and have gotten far better results than I've been able to get from most of the convetional medicine I've tried. I would love to see health care companies and practitioners paid more on the basis of what they can prevent, than what their costs are from performing often very expensive procedures. I think this approach could easily reduce health care costs by 50% or more--and take a big chunk out of our national deficit.

Just one example of a therapy I tried (there are many): I learned about a technique called Nasal Specific (expanding a balloon in the sinuses to open collapsed or restricted sinuses). A local chiropractor did it for $50, and it proved to be a really significant therapy for me. Just a few years ago, conventional medicine essentially took this same procedure (mostly for people with severe allergies), and turned it into a several thousand dollar procedure, with full anesthesia, and more, and all the associated risks of these kinds of measures.

I myself didn't have allergies, but a friend of mine told me she had the same technique done when she was 19, and her severe life-long allergies completely cleared up and never came back. I suspect that many on this forum who have various kinds of sinus issues (including infections), and other kinds of Eustachian Tube dysfunction could benefit from doing this simple technique, even including possibly having their tinnitus and/or hyperacusis improved.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      When I first got tinnitus the ENT and I thought it was allergies so he told me to try
      a steroid nasal spray, that ended up making my tinnitus a louder hissing noise. I still have allergies to this day and wake up with a stuffy nose almost every morning but I'm too scared to try anything.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Zeneth -- How about learning to do a bit of self-acupuncture on some of your sinus points? At very low cost to boot. I would consider it a low-risk endeavor that just may provide some good benefits. Best!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ranuro47

Ranuro47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for responding. Do you use just regular Tylenol?

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I use Singular once a day and Tylenol Sinus when needed. It is not regular Tylenol. My allergies are from fish, environmental perfume, trees and grass. My allergies did not come after tinnitus. I've had them for years. I just use those two and my tinnitus is the same.

• Like Like x 1