Are Alcohol and Tobacco Reckless a Week After Blast Noise Exposure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by juliob, Oct 8, 2022.

1. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      So, I'm going through a tinnitus spike caused by a firecracker 6 days ago.

Do I need to avoid anything anti-inflammatory for like a month because it could help making the spike NOT permanent?

Would it be reckless to have 2 or 3 glasses of wine and a couple of cigarettes this weekend? Would I risk making my spike permanent?

I just want to keep my hobbies and other stuff in moderation, I am tired of living with this plus the restrictions.

What are your experiences? Should I avoid anything anti-inflammatory for how long?

2. WisconsinGuy

WisconsinGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Smoking cigarettes doesn't change my tinnitus at all.

Alcohol actually completely silences my tinnitus when I get drunk. However, the next day it's usually worse with the hangover but goes back to normal after like 24 hours.

So I say to enjoy yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. CW Dragon
      Conehead

CW Dragon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impulse Noise
      Having alcohol tonight for the first time in a while, I've noticed a reduction in my tinnitus but it went back to baseline after sobering up. Smoking doesn't seem to have an effect on me. Now on the other hand, worrying about my sister seeing me doing the smoking spiked it...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      But would you say I could hinder the recovery from my current spike, damaging myself in a permanent way, if I do these things tomorrow?

5. Scarface Tony
      Whistles

Scarface Tony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Loud Noise
      As far as I know, a glass or two of wine reduces inflammation from body, however excess may cause hypertension. That also depends upon how you’re feeling and how’s your tinnitus acting up. I’ve had a glass of wine and I was completely fine.

I wouldn’t smoke as it causes inflammation and shrinks the blood vessels increasing blood pressure exacerbating conditions such as migraine headaches.

Again that’s my opinion, everyone has different body type and different reaction to such things.

• Like Like x 1
    6. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      You’ll be fine to enjoy is my bet.

7. forum_user

forum_user Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI, Noise, Stress ?
      I smoked once a very small cigarette (I am not a smoker, so it was just out of sheer desperation, because I read somewhere it might lessen the tinnitus for some). And the following happened: I felt sick, one of the sounds disappeared completely (maybe it was very quiet) for about 15 minutes, the other one got louder.

Then everything got louder, and I felt sick. It was back to the current "normal" level a few hours later. But a day or two afterwards it was bad. I was terrified! I do not know if that was a coincidence or not.

8. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      This might go some way in explaining - both cannabis and nicotine are shown to affect the sensory gating process:

Alterations of auditory sensory gating in mice with noise-induced tinnitus treated with nicotine and cannabis extract