Are Foam Earplugs the Best Plugs for Concerts?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Off you go, present them to me. Legitimate individual examples please.

Nice! If I was in your position I'd go, but that's just me. You'll decide whether it's worth it or not. As for the venue responding on dB levels I'd say very unlikely as it really does differ from act to act.

I've read that piece before. I really think any of those guys that continue to play despite having the condition are heroes. Especially the older heads like Clapton who must be truely Fu&ked. There was no volume restrictions at venues back then and people would laugh at the concept of hearing protection.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Hello everyone! Just thought I'd report back here. I went to the concert. Stood in the back and only went for the main act and skipped the supporting act altogether to curb risk and hang out a bit longer with a friend I didn't see in two years. The db levels were between 95 and 105 db's and I wore my foam plugs. The band itself had little breaks so I didn't actually have to go out and take a break myself, which was nice. I had a great time! I'm a huge fan of them so it was amazing to see them live. Of course it's a bit too early to tell. But so far I do not really notice a change in my tinnitus my hearing is slightly more sensitive it seems, but I think that's more due to me wearing my plugs for a few hours afterwards to relax my ears, probably sensitising them in the process. Overall it went well! Just thought I'd leave a positive message.

• Like Like x 4
    3. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Great to learn. Most of us wouldn't do what you do ever...I for example can't deal with loud music even with foam plugs...hurts my ears. But Greg will be pleased. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Yep absolutely! I’m happy you had a great time more than anything!

• Like Like x 3
    5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Don't listen to the fear mongering on this site. I go to like 20 concerts a year. My tinnitus has faded to almost nothing over 3 years. I had rough hyperacusis for about 8 months. Of course I wear protection at all of them. I went to a 2 day festival this summer. I have tickets to 7 shows between now and NYE.

As a musician since 12, a former rave DJ, and guy who lives in one of the loudest cities on earth - I know a LOT of people with tinnitus.

Absoluetly zero of them have had any increases from concerts. They just wear earplugs and stand in the middle / back. One of them didn't wear earplugs at all during his fav band at the festiavl this summer. He had no increase.

I stopped going to a lot of DIY venues b/c there is no sound treatment and the stage hands aren't union guys with OSHA regulating sound levels. I'll hit a DIY show if my friends are the sound guys though. Not only are they not rediculous, but if its too loud (above average 105) I'll tell them to turn it down and they will.

@Greg Clarke is right. This place is an echo chamber of what you can't do. But 98% of people with tinnitus aren't living this restricted life. There are OF COURSE serious cases... and I feel for all of them. But take a serious look at how long most of those people have had this affliction. They're just scared, and I was too. It took me 14 months to start living again.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Congratulations! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sam98

Sam98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced OR TMJ. Still unsure
      Hey so how was the concert? Hope you enjoyed yourself! :) I don’t mean to pry but do you mind sharing some of your experience?
      How loud was the venue? What ear protection did you find worked best?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Hey! Of course not! I've reported back a page ago I think haha. But the venue was between 95 to 105 dB at peak levels. I skipped the opening act to curb risk and to spend more time with an old friend. I stood in the middle/back and wore foam earplugs and had peltor muffs with me just in case. The concert was only an hour long and they had consistent little breaks, which was nice because that meant I didn't have to give up my spot. I left my ear plugs in for like an hour after the concert to give my ears some rest :p and so far I haven't noticed any changes yet. The cold I'm having right now seems to be affecting my ears a lot more than the concert did so far.

• Winner Winner x 1