Are Noxacusis/Hyperacusis Sufferers More Susceptible to Developing Meniere's Disease?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Dec 25, 2020.

?

Do you think noxacusis/hyperacusis sufferers are more susceptible to developing Meniere's disease?

1. Yes

2. Maybe

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yeah, are we?

I've been pretty dizzy today and feeling nauseous in a way I haven't felt at any point during my 3½ years with these conditions. I'm afraid I might be developing Meniere's :(

Christmas Eve yesterday was pretty bad to get through as my ear pain was prominent.

I don't know if the ear pain/noxacusis is the cause of this dizziness.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      I’ve noticed my balance is not what it used to be since my acoustic trauma and definitely worse since hyperacusis/noxacusis. It doesn’t affect me much on a day to day basis but I know something is different. I’ve also had 1-2 occasions behind the wheel in the last few months where I’ve felt really sick/nauseous all of a sudden but then it passes.

No idea if there’s a link to Meniere’s or if hearing loss, regardless of cause, causes balance problems?

3. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I do not see a mechanism for why that'd be the case.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Pre-hyperacusis, I was always prone to motion sickness since I went on some spinny ride when I was 8 years old. I once had a bout of vertigo from sea-sickness that lasted a week as a teenager. Migraines here and there too, but nothing chronic. My last serious bout of vertigo was in my early 20s during an ear infection. Outside of that? Really nothing.

I recall a week or two after I developed H I did feel a bit off balance. After that though, not so much.

I took a very long drive to move recently. After about a week of being there, I had a horrible, 48-hour battle with vertigo just from rolling over in bed one morning too quickly. Never had that happen to me before.

I'm about 99.5% better now but still have some issues. Not so much balance as sensitivity to light and that sort of thing. I have to be super careful when rolling over in bed though and I am sleeping with a maternity pillow for the time being.

I don't know if it's possible for things in the ears to get knocked out of place and become more out of whack or what. I've been reassured by a few others it was only temporary, but I still can't help but think my rotten ears are to blame.

• Hug Hug x 2