Are Theatres as Bad as Cinemas?

Discussion in 'Support' started by amybu22, Dec 12, 2015.

1. amybu22

amybu22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hey guys
      Are theatres as loud as cinemas?
      Really want to go see Mary Poppins as it's touring haha but seeing as it's a musical I guess it's going to have some loud bits just wondered if anyone knows if it'll be that bad?
      2015 is the year I got my T and I've become a bit of a recluse because of it and I'm determined to not let it rule over my life next year!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi amybu22,
      You should be fine.
      Take some noise reduction plugs with vents in to reduce sound to a safe limit if need them.
      Go and have a really lovely time.....lots of love glynis

3. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      It can be just as bad, except without the real annoying subwoofer special effects that can really destroy your life. It really depends a lot, but myself, I don't risk it anymore. I have not gone to cinema for 30+ yrs, I have gone to theatre, but not for the past 2 yrs. Theatre is generally less, but it is hard to know unless you're inside, at which point you're almost trapped, and then you become a human experiment, which I don't wish to be anymore.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I clocked a cinema yesterday with a fairly accurate dB meter, and it was 72-80 db average with peaks not exceeding 87dB during heavy bass in action sequences. That's not really anything to be worried about; not at all, with earplugs.

If anything I would think that musicals might be a bit louder than the typical movie, but I haven't been to one with a dB meter so I don't really know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I totally agree with linearb, I've also measured the noise levels in a cinema and got the same results. The levels in an average cinema are not dangerous. As far as the theatre goes I'm not sure. Your best bet is to spend some money on musicians earplugs and get some 10db filters. You won't even know you've got them in as they reduce the overall volume down but don't muffle anything, the clarity is very good.

They are expensive but I suppose that's relative. Some people would spend more on a meal out than what molded ear plugs cost.

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And some people would eat rice for a year on that money, which if nothing else, always makes me feel a bit better about my own problems :D