Are These Painkillers (Voltaren and Pinex Forte) Safe?

Discussion in 'Support' started by glennr, Feb 1, 2018.

1. glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all. Just had shoulder operation and I got some pills to ease my days. They are Voltaren and Pinex Forte (which has codeine in it and is ototoxic as I have read?)

I just don’t want to do any stupid “gambling” taking these pill, but since my tinnitus is somatic and gradually worsening I’m guessing it doesn’t matter anyways

Anyways I wouldn’t mind postponing the worsening as far away as possible so I’m wondering if anyone have any experience if they are “safe” or not? I can’t see that Pinex Forte which has codeine in it has tinnitus noted as a side effect, which would be good.. but Voltaren does..

But again, since I already have tinnitus does it matter?

Thanks for reading and hoping someone has an experience or an opinion to share :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
      I've taken codeine and paracetamol and diclofenac based pain killers many times with no problems! Voltaren is diclofenac.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild head trauma (muscle tension)
      Same here. I took codeine and paracetomol withouth any problems. My t is sommatic too. As long as you take reasonable amounts it shouldnt be a problem.

I once had to took paracetamol every day after an accident. My neuro explained to me that the risk for long term side effects are higher if you take it every day for over a month. But short term use has a very low risk.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the reply :)

I try to read but there are so many opionins and information my head spins out

Voltaren(diclofenac) is a 6 day cure with 50mg 3 times a day. This is the one i do not like the most since it has T listed as I side effect, but then again there’s really no substitute without it being as ototoxic I have think. At least from what I have managed to read.

The strangest thing is that the pinex forte with 500mg paracetamol and 30mg codeine does not have any at related side effects noted. At least that make me feel abit safer about taking those. They are 2-4 times a day for 3-6 days

I tried postponing taking any of the pills hoping to ride the pain out but my shoulder is killing me and there seems to be close to nine painkillers out there which is “safe” for someone with T

5. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild head trauma (muscle tension)
      That is indeed strange. Tinnitus are known side effects for paracetamol amd codeine. Voltaren is anti-inflammatory and can cause t too as a side effect. I personally think the voltaren is the most important of the 2 after surgery, because of its anti inflammatory properties. Preventing inflamation is important to reduce change of complications. Unless your doctor prescribed it for antoher reason?

Im glad you were able to bite through your pain up untill now. Pain killers are just for relieve, not for healing. So you dont need to use them every day. Only when you need them. And yes there are many different kind of pain killers. Maybe you can ask your doctor about those?

There is always a small risk. Even with minimum dossages. But it is rather rate that someone would get permenant tinnitus from taking those medications once in a while. So wouldnt worry to much about it.

Hope you heal soon

• Like Like x 1
    6. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      @glennr,

How is your shoulder? Did you end up taking painkillers?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The operation seem to have had no effect on my shoulder and im "back to basic" again 1.5 year after @Eric N . I did not take the voltaren but took paracetamol when the pain got bottersome.

Since the inflammation is back my docktor wants me to try a heavy 7 days voltaren cure, but to be honest im still abit afraid to try it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Did you end up having the Voltaren, i am on 25mg a night at the moment, i am going to ask if i can stop it from my doctor today as my pain isn’t that bad and i am more worried about side effects of taking them