ASMR = Relaxation and Falling Asleep Faster

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Aug 29, 2012.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)

Hi my lovely friends!

Never heard of it myself until a day and half ago. I thought I was watching a video for relaxing and easing stress. Well, it actually almost put me to sleep!! I was mesmerized almost. My blood pressure decreased and I felt no stress. Yep! No stress. I watched several and the same experience happened. Very curious concept.

There is a whole community of people out there making ASMR videos. Everyday people like you and me. They are hooked and do a pretty good job! It's like a sensory candy sort of.

I then tried another ASMR video to help me to sleep last night .... I turned down my rain and thunder cd that I play all night on a loop and I didn't even get to the end of the YT video as it indeed put me to sleep. Bizarre!

Since this technique is so new to me I had to watch more today. I guess I am getting hooked. I have not felt any stress today which I normally would and my T was mostly absent or so low that I was less stressed just because of the low volume. My blood pressure at the end of the day was like it is when I wake in the morning! 113/68! A miracle indeed!!! The GOP convention didn't even irritate me! (I was routing for Ron Paul!)

Something is up with this neurologically. It does something in the brain... like releases dopamine or serotonin... I am not sure, nor could I find anything about why it does what it does. At least I am not a freak cause others are into this and brought it to my attention.

I could only find one organization conducting a research study on it from 2010.... http://www.asmr-research.org/ Here is what it says. Oh, I don't experience any tingling, but maybe you will. Please let me know. There is nothing in PubMed or any other official agency. It is curious indeed.

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs.

Most ASMR episodes begin by an external or internal trigger, and are so divided for classification. Type A episodes are elicited by the experiencer using no external stimuli, and are typically achieved by specific thought patterns unique to the individual. Type B episodes are triggered involuntarily by an external trigger, via one or more senses, and may also involve specific thought patterns associated with the triggering event. Both types of triggers vary between individuals, but many are common to a large portion of ASMR enjoyers.

Common external triggers:
      • Exposure to slow, accented, or unique speech patterns
      • Viewing educational or instructive videos or lectures
      • Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event
      • Enjoying a piece of art or music
      • Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.
      • Close, personal attention from another person
      • Haircuts, or other touch from another on head or back
      Have I got you curious yet? Well, I am going to post some ASMR videos here. Please see what these do for you... what sensations you are experiencing and if it relaxes you or reduces your T.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Origami Bird ~ ASMR ~ Mrheadtingles

Today I'm making an origami paper crane (Bird) that flaps It's wings. It's my favourite origami item. I'll do more in the future, I hope you enjoy this one.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Turn your speakers up or wear headphones.....

Wooden Objects (Soft Spoken Sound Video)

Hey everybody, as requested many times I give you wooden sounds videos. In this video I will be scratching sphere objects of different texture, playing with wooden spheres, tapping, drawing on and sratching on a board, and coloring a wooden board. Enjoy...
      PS; Explanation of why I sound so sad/tired at 14:30 :)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      This one was the first one I watched and I didn't know what I was watching.

Hair Brushing (ASMR, relaxation, soft spoken,...

In this video, I am brushing my hair while speaking softly about hair care. I hope you find this relaxing. :) -Dolly

This is an ASMR video for relaxation and stress relief. It is my intention that this video will help you feel peaceful, stress-free, and sleepy. :)

This video was inspired by VeniVidiVulpes and GentleWhispering, who have wonderful hair brushing videos on their channels. :)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Folding and Smoothing Tissue Paper Sounds for...

Hiya guys! I know I've already done tissue paper, but I used this to pack my nail polish during the move, and I couldn't just throw it away! And I'm sorry for the cut in the middle... the cats get angry when I close them out of my room, and I'm sure the sound wouldn't have been relaxing. So I hope it's still enjoyable! Please let me know if you have any requests, it'll be easier to film now in my new place! :)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    9. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Calin,
      This sounds interesting! I'll wait until this evening to watch one of the videos, and report back on my experience with it. Thanks!

10. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      What a very interesting find! Thanks Calin!

11. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      This is great, I'll try it out too

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, it's evening here. I just watched two of the ASMR videos --- the one about haircutting, and the one about making thumbprint cookies. The first one almost made me fall alseep; the second, I watched more intently, and felt very calm and relaxed. I then took my blood pressure immediately afterward. BP was 116/74, which is very good --- about what it is in the morning!

My tinnitus has already been pretty good all day today, and after watching the videos, it seems even better.
      So -- I'd say you should give this a try, especially when feeling upset and stressed by your tinnitus. Who knows? It might even help you with sleep!

Thanks, Calin --- I'll probably watch some more of these. I think it's already got me hooked!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      haha.. I do think it has some addictive properties to it.

I backed off today from watching them. Last night though I watched one on my android again and fell asleep before it ended again. Had to go hunting for my phone this morning! haha

So, you didn't get tingling either.. just calming sensation?!

Good BP too!
      Keep me posted!

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nope, No tingling at all! I ended up watching two more last night: One about brushing hair, another about a tarot deck of cards. Interesting, calming --- but only sleepiness and calm experienced. However, it certainly worked for a good night's sleep!

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    16. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Calin - these are lovely. Thank you for posting them.

17. Ivan
      Amused

Ivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 18th, 2013
      I am not sure about you, folks, but I prefer someone talking more than listening to music to fall asleep faster. I haven't listened to ASMR videos since summer, and this is a bliss. ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response and what you should feel is tingles, either inside your head, or your body. It doesn't really matter. But don't listen to it too often, because you won't feel tingles anymore. Anyway, this is really helpful if you can't fall asleep because it relaxes you pretty quickly.

I need to mention this because there have been some people who have totally mistaken the purpose of ASMR. This is not some type of erotic talking video, it is intended for relaxation.

There are plenty of ASMRers on YouTube today. The most famous one is Maria and her videos are one of the most relaxing on YouTube.

You should give it a try!

• Like Like x 1
    18. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I've been using ASMR for a while now, maybe a year or so. It really is a great way to induce relaxation and sleep. There are so many genres. You really have to spend some time looking around for the ones that work for you. Whispering with tapping and other odd sounds work for me. I have been using a little application called YouTube to MP3 http://www.mediahuman.com/youtube-to-mp3-converter/ to convert the youtube files to MP3 for loading into the iPod. I always ask permission of the ASMR artist before doing so. Have never been denied. Give it a try, it works.

19. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Jim, would you be comfortable sharing one or two of the YouTube links that work for you? Cheers

20. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi everyone.

Jon B on this forum posted a link to a sound on the chat and I really felt it deserved a thread on this forum:

(3D binaural sound) Asmr scratching your head...

I found this sound so soothing that I deleted all of my masking sounds on my mp3 player and uploaded this.
      After listening to it, my T calms down a lot.

If you have any suggestions for sounds that is great either for masking or soothing, please, do post them here :)

Thanks to you all and especially Jon B for this sound! :)

21. LillianLexicon97
      Depressed

LillianLexicon97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise: Headphones
      I find asmr helps with stress a great deal! I swear I have the best nights when I watch a video. :sleep:

22. LillianLexicon97
      Depressed

LillianLexicon97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise: Headphones