Aspirin <-> Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scarred, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Scarred

Scarred Member

There is a known connection between aspirin and developing tinnitus and I would like to know if anyone's aspirin induced tinnitus has gone away?

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      From what I can find tinnitus caused by aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is often temporary and fades away once you stop taking it. Anyway--in some cases it can also be permanent.

If you've stopped taking aspirin, how long has it been?

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I take 325mg aspirin daily. I was concerned that it may be contributing to my tinnitus so I quit taking for a month to see what happened. No change. From what I have learned aspirin only affects tinnitus in very high doses. I'm not sure what would constitute a "very high dose".

4. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Based on what I've read, aspirin can cause tinnitus, although it's usually temporary.

I came upon this question about aspirin, because I want to know if the ATA is really coming to grips about the basic mechanisms of what is tinnitus. I am concerned if the ATA has an effective decision making process for research needs to find a cure.

The ATA publishes a "Road to a Cure" flowchart, showing the various types of reasearch going on. This particular research about aspirin was done several years ago.

My questions to the ATA professionals:
      1. Is there a consensus about the findings of this particular study about excess prestin causing this type of tinnitus?
      2. If it is agreed that excess prestin is causing aspirin/medicine induced tinnitus, what is the next step in research that will build upon that conclusion?
      This is where the politics of the ATA may come into play. The ATA may be in the initial phases of generating sort of a "grab bag of ideas"/"anything goes" approach to research. But at some point, somebody needs to make the hard decisions and determine the correct course of action. Many organizations are ineffective because of misplaced priorites, disfunctional internal politics, and lack of focus. I hope that the ATA is as agressive and goal oriented as they claim, and not just a professional organization.

5. spinnaker

spinnaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / hearing loss
      I wonder if aspirin is what put me over the edge? My doctor has had me on a baby dosage for a few years due to a heart condition. I stopped on my own when the tin started getting really bad.

But I did not know it was a cause. Once I got on it, I never noticed a difference since I had tinnitus long before. Didn't seem to make it any better or any worse.

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      affirmative Aspirin<->Tinnitus