At Sturgis... 7 Days Now...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kathi, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I've had good days and bad days, as usual, but with my new helmet and good earplugs, I have to say that nothing has changed! My tinnitus is the same. I've been to the Knucklehead, Easy Rider, and walking the streets of Sturgis with all the motorcycles. We've been to Keystone, Hill City and many other places. At the campground, bikes are coming and going all the time. I haven't been to Buffalo Chip yet ...am a tad afraid as it's very loud there so we might just skip it. We're both of an age where burn pits and drunken hijinks are kind of old. :) Wearing earplugs all the time makes my tinnitus seem louder but it's a small price to pay. I am very grateful that I could do this...

• Like Like x 3
    2. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Good for you Kathi! have fun! always wanted to go there myself...! do you have a hard time sleeping at night ??I have to use a sound machine..

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Ear plugs will make T seem louder -because it is louder it is because as you are blocking outside sounds. However, you are protecting your ears which is GREAT! Motorcycles can be very loud. Harley's and hearing loss is well documented if you google it. I ride an electric motorcycle just so I can still have the thrill of riding and not the noise.

I wear earplugs at loud sporting events. The way I think about it to myself when I am wearing ear plugs and my T is louder and more noticeable----if I lost this much hearing, this is what my T would sound like all the time with NO ear plugs---that keeps me motivated and reaffirmed that protecting my ears at loud places/events is a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
    4. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Kathi ...glad that you're having such a great time! I think your decision to avoid the burn-out pit competition is a good idea. In addition to being very noisy the stink and breathing in that burned rubber smoke isn't something I would want to do.

That said, enjoy the rest of your time there and let us know when you're safely back home.

7287_fin.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    5. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      You must have a helluva long extension cord for that thing!...:LOL:

Here's my 3 year old grandson on his electric powered quad taking his girlfriend for a ride....:)

image - Copy (2).jpg

• Like Like x 4
    6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      haha mine looks similar but not as fast:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      That's a great picture.

• Like Like x 2
    8. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Yeah. Think about it this way. If you are wearing 33 NRR ear plugs then the tinnitus you hear would be just as bad if you suddenly get 33 db hearing loss.

Protect your hearing guys.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      We're both safe @jimH --there were a lot of fatalities but there were also about a million people--twice the normal attendance. Thank you for worry about me. We are in Illinois now--making our way back.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Home at last! As great as it is to go away...it's great to be home--safe and reasonably sound. :) We had a wonderful time. The only things I felt I couldn't do was go to the Buffalo Chip for the concerts. It was no big deal to my hubby. We found plenty of other things to do.

@jeannie - I use a sound generator at night but I actually prefer to fall asleep listening to audiobooks. On really bad nights I use both. It's amazing to me that the brain can block out the narration and one falls asleep--I guess it's like having the tv on without the light from the screen to disturb sleep rhythms.

@jimH --that's a beautiful grandson you have there and his girlfriend is a cutie!

@erik --Yeah, I protected my ears at all times. Even though my tinnitus seemed louder, after awhile I just didn't notice it very much--too much going on around me.

• Like Like x 1