Average Decibel Levels of a) an MRI and b) Shockwave Lithotripsy?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Hey, folks!
      Hope you're all doing well!

I have a question about medical testing/procedures that maybe someone can answer, or link me to the information. Does anyone know the approximate decibel levels of a) an MRI and b) shockwave lithotripsy?

Thanks!

Mystery Reader

2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The quietest ones are loud enough to have caused permanent spikes for some people here.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The risk is probably low. The majority of people who get an MRI seem to be ok. However, the risk is definitely there. I know a number of people on this forum who got a permanent spike or tinnitus that doesn't seem to fade as a result of having an MRI (and of course many get an MRI and are completely fine)...

6. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Most people seem to be okay with MRIs but there are quite a number of horror stories. One is at the link below in PEOPLE Magazine. I know the person well, she's not exaggerating what happened to her.

I would recommend caution to everyone - avoid MRI unless really necessary, if it is necessary, seek out one of the new quieter ones such as GE Silent Scan (not really silent, but a lot quieter), and wear MRI-safe earplugs and earmuffs.

Texas Woman Warns Others After Loud MRI Permanently Damages Her Ears: 'I Live a Life of Misery'

https://people.com/health/texas-woman-mri-ear-damage/

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I think just about all the foam earplugs are MRI compatible, except for some ones used in the food industry that are designed to be detectable as they contain metal. However, most consumers will not ever use these.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think that's right, though recently I have seen a lot of posts about titanium earplugs. So for fans of titanium earplugs (or any other ones made of metal), they'd of course need to get the regular foam or silicone type for an MRI.

9. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Please avoid MRIs if you can! My tinnitus was habituated from 15 years ago and now it rages because Imhad a tech that was clueless, but so was I.

I had a back injury and they wanted an MRI, I had one years prior and didn’t remember the noise like this. Awful noise, and the headset they gave me didn’t do anything. The tech didn’t give me a call button so I was stuck.

This MRI was terribly loud, and now I wake up at 0400 with screaming in my head. I wish the tech had to go through what she has put me through. The worst part is, they had earplugs to offer....but I found this out after.

She actually said, “well now you know how loud it is for next time!” Never a next time for me. Good luck.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sucky advice for earplugs next time, and they should know better- a lot better. Yes, that tech should get a taste of her own medicine so to speak.