Back from First ENT Visit, Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hopeforme, Feb 6, 2017.

1. hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown/ear infection/noise
      So if you scroll through my profile you'll see what's been happening. I honestly don't think my headphones caused my tinnitus but who's to say.

Urgent care doctor said he saw fluid in my ears. -prednisone/low dose of amoxicillin
      GP said my ears were red and eardrums bulged - high dose of amoxicillin/flonase

ENT today - had a hearing test and tested normal. Pressure test was normal. She said ears/nose/throat look fine and can't tell what the cause is. I gave her my background but she said if there was no pain with the possible ear infection and there was just pressure then she doesn't think much damage could be caused.

She wants an MRI to rule out anything else and look at possible nerve damage.

What is your experience with this? I am not afraid of getting an MRI, she assured me that they give earplugs and earmuffs.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      @hopeforme,
      It may be a good idea if your ENT wants an MRI to rule out anything. It may be in their professional protocol to do that to rule out anything otherwise there can be a lawsuit for malpractice. It also can hep you mentally to know nothing serious is going on. Good idea to protect the ears as the procedure can be quite noisy.

There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear or Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up feeling pressured, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure, acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as flights, slapping of the ears, grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, elevated stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc. Sometimes a combination of causes can cause T. So it may not be easy to pin point one exact cause.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hopeforme

hopeforme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown/ear infection/noise
      Thank you @billie48

I will pay the money for peace of mind. If nothing is serious I have already come to accept this and am starting to try to live a full life.

I have noticed since I have gotten T I enjoy driving so much more because I can't hear it. I enjoy being outdoors more because I can't hear it much out there too. I enjoy being active/busy because it keeps my mind busy.

I know my T right now is mild but I have learned so much from all of you.

• Like Like x 1
    4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      You're lucky you know, a lot of people list road nose as one of their discomforts. I find some coarser road surfaces to be excruciating.